· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Exclamation Female Guppy w bright red gills... started ich salt & temp treatment today

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there,

I've had a number of aquariums throughout my life, and finally have a big one. (prob not big to some of you!)

it is a 60 gal semi planted, with 1 rainbow shark, 1 hypostomus plecostomus, 2 clown loaches, 6 black neons, a handful of guppies, and 2 platys left. I've been phasing out the platys. Thinking about phasing out all the live bearers in general and increasing the school of black neons, but still stuck on some pretty guppies.

I got some new plants for the tank via mail the other day, and yesterday when I was doing my weekly 20% water change, I put them in place. I recently got a new (large) driftwood piece that is a nice cave spot for my cave loving friends. Installed on Monday. (5-6 days ago, depending on your time zone) it came twice boiled and prepped, the company recommended a good rinse and noted that some tannins would still leach for a bit. That has been the case, but the fish have been seemingly unaffected, and the black neons actually seem to enjoy the tannins in the water - which are hardly evident since my water change yesterday.

I've had this tank for over 1.5 years. I've had the rainbow shark & the pleco almost as long as I've had the tank set up. Things have been pretty stable...

Today I noticed one or two guppies flashing... I thought, hmmm, better keep my eye on things... then I noticed my rainbow shark do it one or two times. (no one has been doing it excessively) but I immediately got a bit protective/paranoid, and thought that maybe some ich came in with the new plants (which yes, I did rinse before placing in my tank.)

So I thought, okay, time to raise the temp. Better start now and get this over with. (I have midterms next week and will be out of town the following) I keep my tank around 78 degrees F. I have it currently at 84-85F, I started the temp raise about 8 hours ago.. I added aquarium salt when it was about 82F.

Everyone seems to be adjusting fine, except my one big female guppy I've had quite awhile, since she was born in the tank probs about a year ago.. she's the biggest guppy I have. Her gills have suddenly become very inflamed, bright red. So now I am even more freaked out! The lights are off in the tank right now, but she is chilling near the surface, just like all the guppies do at night. I can't tell the colour of her gills at the time of writing. She does not seem to be labouring otherwise...

She was totally fine this morning. What did I do wrong? I haven't even added the full amount of recommended salt, yet. I added 3/4 cup, and I guess my 60 gal needs at least a full cup in order to get the potential ich. Guppies are tech brackish, so... what gives??? Anyone have any ideas??? and like I said, I *just* did my weekly water change yesterday.. things should be fairly okay in there..

I am going to post this and then bust out my water testing supplies...

In the meantime.. ideas, anyone???

Thank you!!

2. Default levels

0 Not allowed!
    okay.

pH 6.0, nitrite & nitrate both 0, ammonia a lovely 0 ppm.

normally my pH is 7.0, so, what is I am sure due to the tannins of the new driftwood piece, a little more acidic than usual. But the water was WAY more saturated earlier in the week...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    also, when I over filled my test tube w water & let some water drip back into the tank, the female guppy of concern immediately reacted as if I was putting food into the tank... so... she seems behaviourly "normal"..

and yes I have been thinking about phasing out all the live bearers, but am not quite decided, and even if I did, she is one that I would keep until she died... she has been a great breeder, and is huge, with quite the lovely tail for a female.. daughter of one of my fav male guppies I had.. very hardy

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    okay. today she seems totally fine. how weird is that? maybe it was just a reaction to the added salt? ummm...?

well, anyway, I am relieved, except for the fact that my second cheapo top fin (petsmart brand) heater doesnt seem to be working, so I can't get the temp higher than 85F... grrrrr. at least they have a replacement policy. (this will be my 3rd one)

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    All of this happened within a span of 9 hours or so? It's somewhat unusual to have a reading of 0 trAtes, unless the tank is heavily planted. Did you ever see the white specks associated with ich? I would add no more salt to the tank. I would also invest in a better quality heater.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 on no more salt. I thought if you used heat to treat ich there is really no use or need for salt , would it not add a lot of stress that the fish don't need?
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    That is correct, salt or heat, not both. Heat is usually all that is required, I'd personally never add salt to a fresh water tank. Also, one should never treat for illness without being certain of what the illness really is.

If the guppy is showing no signs of ich after only some hours, not days, then I doubt ich was the problem.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    okay. no more salt. check. will do another water change soon, too. unfortunately got a nasty bug myself right now that has taken me out, so probably not going to be hauling around buckets of water for a few days. I've always read that you need BOTH the salt and heat to kill the ich... it has worked for me in the past with no ill
    effects.

Also, the particular guppy I posted about did not show signs of ich, it was some of the younger ones who were flashing, and then the rainbow shark. have not seen any white specks, but understand that there are diff stages to the organism's life..

I guess I do have a decent amount of live plants in there, at this point... a big amazon sword, 4 anubias nana, wendelovs(sp?) fern, anacharis and guppy grass floating at the top, a bunch of java fern (some babies of which end up floating around the tank or getting stuck in the sponge over my filter.. i think they are pretty cool tho, and somehow actually are growing even though they are not permanently attached to anything.) maybe enough to have 0 nitrates? that really is what it said. more live plants now, than fake. yay!

I have two heaters in my tank because it is so long. an aqueon pro 250 watt (which isnt broken) and the cheapo petsmart one. I guess thats why I just keep on taking advantage of the petsmart replacement policy. but yes, one of these days I will update it soon because obviously, it is not there for me when I need it!

Also, with all the livebearers I went through a period of overcrowding and bought a pack of medium for my filter that is specific to treating ammonia, instead of the regular carbon kind..

anyway, thank you for the feedback, everyone. I read a lot of info on diff aquarium forums, but havent posted on one in a verrrrry long time. This just had me stumped. As I transition to more plants & more difficult fish, I suspect this will not be the last you hear from me ;)

I'll check in if things continue to go awry!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Red fins could be gill flukes? Fish flash for all kinds of parasites. If you never saw ich, it's likely that wasn't the problem.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!