· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Tank looks great, congrats! - Slaphppy7 Here's to a safe delivery!! - steeler58 Congrats!! - Taurus For getting your fish safe and sound! - gronlaura Congrats on the new fish!  well done! - Slaphppy7 
    It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 Have a nice Memorial weekend! - steeler58 Have a nice Memorial weekend! - steeler58 For hyjacking your thread, but that Matt........ - steeler58 
    Here's to Marbles Hatchets & RCS! Congrats! - Slaphppy7 To another safe delivery. - steeler58 new fish - cm12setx For the new fish!!  Bottoms up! - gronlaura T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you! - steeler58 Have a beer to make your day better :) - steeler58 Have a beer to make your day better :) - steeler58 For the kind words in Matts journal ;) - steeler58 TGIF - RiversGirl 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

Default Heater suction cups

0 Not allowed!
    This is gonna sound off the wall, but would like an opinion...

I recently purchased an Aqueon Pro 50 heater to replace a heater rated for up to 10 ga. for my 10 ga. My betta tank(3ga at the present) has same heater (rated up to 10ga) that wasnt keeping the water any warmer than 75-78, depending on the ambient temp of the room!

I decided to put the new adjustable heater in my betta tank to see if I could get the temp up to 78-80 for him. In the meantime, I had added 2 baby Oto's and 2 baby ghost shrimp for algae that I thought they would help clean up. Now the algae wasnt too bad, and I intended the new tenants to shortly go to the 10 ga. I placed a 3rd ghost shrimp into aforementioned 10ga. So, I had new tenants and this new heater in the 3 ga. This new heater came with really big and really smelly rubber suction cups. (theres a reason I mention this)

Within 3 days, one Oto began showing signs of...well, dying...no, outward signs of disease, or injury, just floating at surface. Concerned about the water, I checked paramaters and its fine. slight rise in nitrates from 8 to 10ppm, ammonia and nitrites both 0.

I pulled some tank water from the 10 ga and placed the Oto in with an airstone. He did not make it, within 20 mins he was gone. I panicked as I do not have a QT so I pulled some more tank water from the 10 and put the other Oto in with an airstone. And floated the container in the 10g tank for 20 min and released him into the 10g. He seemed okay but was floating the next day.

So now I'm scared to death that I've tainted my 10 ga!! Oh..the 2 ghost shrimp have now exhibited the same...I dunno, malaise that the Otos had prior to dying. In the meantime my little Betta is also showing signs of listlissness, laying on the bottom all the time, and NO outward signs of disease or injury!

The 3rd ghost shrimp originally placed in the 10g is happily zipping around, molting, and making the tank his own! What?! So, I'm thinkin...the only other new thing going on is that heater! Now I remember smelling a strong rubber smell from the tank everytime I leaned over the water...

Am I crazy? I took out the heater replaced the old one and in 2 very stressful days my lying on deaths door Betta is today regally swimming around, flexing at his image and eating great..I'm tellin ya I don't have the nervous system for this!

Rubber suction cups? Really?...

Awards Showcase

Tank looks great, congrats! - Slaphppy7 Here's to a safe delivery!! - steeler58 Congrats!! - Taurus For getting your fish safe and sound! - gronlaura Congrats on the new fish!  well done! - Slaphppy7 
    It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 Have a nice Memorial weekend! - steeler58 Have a nice Memorial weekend! - steeler58 For hyjacking your thread, but that Matt........ - steeler58 
    Here's to Marbles Hatchets & RCS! Congrats! - Slaphppy7 To another safe delivery. - steeler58 new fish - cm12setx For the new fish!!  Bottoms up! - gronlaura T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you! - steeler58 Have a beer to make your day better :) - steeler58 Have a beer to make your day better :) - steeler58 For the kind words in Matts journal ;) - steeler58 TGIF - RiversGirl 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    oh, I did do a 30% WC at the time, the other 2 ghost shrimp did not make it. And the 2nd Oto exhibited odd behaviour just before I pulled him out...he would hang off the heater cord or the wall, with his nose out of the water. And the tiger snail was just out of the water for-ev-er...until I took out the new heater...ya just can't make this stuff up!

0 Not allowed!
    Are you sure that the new heater wasn't malfunctioning? Any signs of a leak? Also, did you rinse off the suction cups and heater, prior to adding it to the tank?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Are you sure that the new heater wasn't malfunctioning? Any signs of a leak? Also, did you rinse off the suction cups and heater, prior to adding it to the tank?
    No, sir, I did not...much to my chagrin. But it will be thoroughly rinsed before it finds its way into another tank. So stupid, not to think that ANYTHING that goes into that tank shouldn't be rinsed! I feel awful about the ones I killed, and so glad my Blue Boy is doing so well again.

No signs of leaks, but I've never seen one leak, what does it look like?... I did so much research on fish diseases, trying to identify what was wrong so I could fix it...and NOTHING fit. It happened so quickly,...they're so helpless in our tanks, aren't they?

0 Not allowed!
    When a heater leaks, you might not notice unless you're looking for it. In fact, there might not be any ill effects until it's too late. You can tell if you see any condensation on the inside of the glass, or you might see some water in there. It happened to an Aqueon of mine a while back.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you. I'll put it on my mental check list each time I look into my tanks.