· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 
    Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

Default Finding the right substrate.

0 Not allowed!
    So I want to redo my beta tank and I really like slate. Since there will be no bottom dwellers in this tank I wanted to use small slate chips. Pieces no bigger than 1 cm or so. I have seen this done once before but I can't seem to find such a thing. The closest I got was slate chips for mulch and those were too big and I don't need such a large bag. Any suggestions?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have you looked at black flourite yet?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 
    Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I have but from what I've seen the Flourite granules are too small for the look I want to achieve. I know, I have the goldie locks syndrome.

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't heard or seen anything sold as aquarium substrate that appears remotely like what you are describing. You may have to look farther afield(garden centers, etc gravel for landscaping). However, make sure that whatever you pick sinks(mulch doesn't)
    And also does not affect water chemistry(again, mulch will probably make your water acidic). Most organic matter(bark, wood, etc) will make your water acidic to a degree, while some rocks may leach calcium and do the opposite(always test rocks by dropping vinegar on them. If they fizz, don't use).

Awards Showcase

2 Not allowed!
    Sorry, as a gardener myself, when I say mulch, I mean anything laid over the soil. In this case, slate. So nothing organic. I have a few thin pieces of slate roofing shingles I might hit with a hammer and see how it breaks apart. Could be my solution.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    I have a few thin pieces of slate roofing shingles I might hit with a hammer and see how it breaks apart. Could be my solution.
    Seems worth a try.

-S

0 Not allowed!
    When you said slate I thought you meant something like this but crushed up slate never heard or seen anything like it.
    55 gallon, 22 Cardinal Tetras, 11 Celestial Pearl Danios, 5 Sterbai Corydoras, 5 Gold Honey Gourami, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!

I could be dead wrong on what this substrate is. But if you jump to 1:00 that is the best example of what I'm looking for. What exactly is in those tanks may not be slate but you get the idea of the shape and size.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I found this online http://www.earthproducts.net/products/gravel.html Try a landscaping supply yard and ask for small slate gravel.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.