· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default It pays to be prepared!

2 Not allowed!
    I returned home from an extended shopping/errand trip to find the filter on my 20 barely flowing and the waterfall heavy and glopping. I had recently cleaned that filter and had replaced the sponge, so I knew it wasn't clogged. I suspect something went wrong with the motor, though the impeller was still turning. I think the motor might have been gradually wearing out and had gone feeble on me. I had the flow control valve wide open.

I checked the positioning of the media and jostled it a bit to ensure it wasn't blocking the flow, but still the flow was as diminished as before.

I had purchased a stand-by replacement filter some time ago, and now took it out of the box, assembled it, transferred my existing media into it and got it up and going. The new waterfall is vigorous and healthy.

This just shows the importance of having an extra filter available. One never knows when it might be needed.

I now have the time to further investigate what was going on with the old one, and my fish are no worse off.

It pays to be prepared...

--mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, I keep two filters on every tank for that reason.. Each is sized enough to handle the tank on it's own for a short period of time, and I also have a few spare filters in the house too

1 Not allowed!
    Also a good idea to keep a spare heater around.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    It certainly is a good idea to have spares around, but I never found it necessary to actually go out and buy a spare. The fish box has away too much stuff in it...my spares may not be the best size (which is usually why they got replaced) but they will do the job in a pinch.
    Now that I think about it, I really should go thru the fish box and see if I can't get rid of some of that stuff...the box seems to keep getting bigger...

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    It certainly is a good idea to have spares around, but I never found it necessary to actually go out and buy a spare. The fish box has away too much stuff in it...my spares may not be the best size (which is usually why they got replaced) but they will do the job in a pinch.
    Now that I think about it, I really should go thru the fish box and see if I can't get rid of some of that stuff...the box seems to keep getting bigger...
    Funny...the other week I went through my "fish box" and threw out a ton of needless stuff.... I always have 2 filters (and spare motors and impellers) , a spare heater and one of every part for my python. So far the only thing I haven't needed in a pinch is the spare heater....but I'm ready!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As soon as I throw something away, I'll need it immediately. I just know it! ;)

-S

0 Not allowed!
    I keep 2 filters going all the time just in case one stops. I had one die on me once and it taught me to have backups. I keep 1 extra filter, 1 heater, 1 air pump, and hoses.
    Steve
    50 Gallon -
    Endlers | Guppies | Blue Eyed Rice | Celestial Pearl Danios | Threadfin Rainbows | Peacock Gudgeon | Bronze Cory's
    Albino Cory's | Nerite Snails | Ghost Shrimp

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingrayg4 View Post
    As soon as I throw something away, I'll need it immediately. I just know it! -S
    Yes, but if you never throw anything away, how will you know you need it?
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingrayg4 View Post
    As soon as I throw something away, I'll need it immediately. I just know it! ;)

-S
    Half my storage area was filled with fish and plant bags....you never know when you'll need a fish bag! I could have started a small shop with the number of bags I had!