· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Brought our baby home tonight!!!

0 Not allowed!
    We bought a halfmoon betta tonight. He is gorgeous! Bright red with small green spots on his side. When we put him in the tank he immediately swam to the top right corner of the tank and has been a permanent fixture there since. I am hoping he is just adjusting and will come out of it soon. My only worry is the flow in the tank. He swam into the direct path of the outflow valve and it whipped him all the way around the tank. He wasn't a fan. What can I do to reduce the flow and still maintain good circulation in the tank? Will he just adjust to the more gentle areas of the tank? Right now I have readjusted the spray bar to the side of the tank instead of the middle.

He is gorgeous for sure though. He doesn't seem to care about the tetras and they don't seem to care about him. So far so good. When he comes out of hiding I will get a picture for you all.

Oh, I have also put the lights on night mode for now to hopefully help him adjust better.
    Last edited by Jenalee; 03-06-2014 at 01:32 AM.
    40 gallon FW -1 male halfmoon betta named Max, 2 GBR's (Peter and Lois) who better clean up their act, 11neon tetras (damn GBR's killed one), 12 black neon tetras, 2 assassin snails, and 1 albino BN pleco named Tiberius.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Does anyone have input regarding the flow in our tank? He is still hanging in the upper back right corner and won't come out.
    40 gallon FW -1 male halfmoon betta named Max, 2 GBR's (Peter and Lois) who better clean up their act, 11neon tetras (damn GBR's killed one), 12 black neon tetras, 2 assassin snails, and 1 albino BN pleco named Tiberius.

3. Default

2 Not allowed!
    What type of filter have you got?
    On some you can direct and even adjust the flow. If you can do that, try putting a sponge pre filter on the intake which will slow it down slightly.

BTW pics of the betta would be nice
    • 20 gallon: Posh shrimp tank:2 panda taiwan bee shrimp, 14 F1 hybrid bee shrimps and 30 taitibee
    • 15 gallon: 2 x 24watt T5 + 23watt LED, pressurised Co2 injections and dosed with ferts

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Bettas don't like current but you've got a large enough tank that he should eventually be able to find some still water that will make him happy.
    Aiden had a good idea. try to direct the spray to the back wall of the tank, see if that doesn't diminish the flow.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I've often had new fish who found a spot and just stayed there for a while until they settled in. It's probably nothing to worry about. Being that this is a betta, it may very well be the first time it's ever been in anything but a very tiny container, it's probably stunned by all of the open space (and clean water). Like fishmommie said, it will probably find an area of lower current that will make it happy. I'm assuming this is in the 40g mentioned in your sig, should be plenty of space in there.

-S

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, it is my 40g. We have a Rena Filstar XP1. Hubby is worried that if we redirect the flow of the spraybar that we will lose the proper circulation in the tank. Thoughts on that?

I will try to get a pic when I get home tonight. He is so sweet. I love that he seems really shy right now, but I don't want him to be scared. I know he just needs to relax a bit. Hopefully he has a better day. He was in the corner sleeping with the school of black neons this morning and they all seemed to be doing just fine together so that is great!

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    You don't need to worry about positioning the spray bar. A lot of people do that to reduce heavy current and it actually works quite well.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Perfect! Thanks!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    You don't need to worry about positioning the spray bar. A lot of people do that to reduce heavy current and it actually works quite well.
    Agreed.

-S

10. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Betta take a while to adjust to their new surroundings, even if they were from comparable habitats.

My 20g has three small filters which pushed my betta around quite a bit at first. I think he just had to build up his muscles (and I swear his pectoral fins grew longer). Give him a week and he should be all over the place, especially if you have objects/plants in your tank that break up the flow.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!