· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fresh water nitrate removal

0 Not allowed!
    Ok gang, as you know in salt I relentlessly try to find ways to remove/lower nitrates in an effortless way as humanly possible. I have a 75G fresh with Barbs and Gouramis. Why? Cause I've always liked Barbs!
    So other than the obvious (no nitrate traps) how can I naturally reduce Nitrates. I know some plants can do it, but I really don't want to get into chemicals or Co2 etc. My lighting is 2 54W T5 HO bulbs. I can add another light bar if needed. The tank is tightly covered to prevent evaporation. My water as you can imagine is pristine with the worst of it being about 10 on Nitrates max. Canister is Eheim G160 filled with rings only, no filter materials as I have a sponge on the intake. Water changes every week, 33% or more (easy with home made python). I understand from Fishmommie that bamboo is great, but can it be completely submerged? The only real plant life I have is this floating stuff that propagates like crazy....So my friends, you fresh water geniuses give me some easy to understand (remember, I think salt is easier) ideas or solutions. As always, thanks in advance...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.

If your not angry, your not paying attention...

150G FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Assrtd) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby) 10G Fresh (Beta)

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    I do know that Bamboo cannot be completely submerged.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 
    6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass 
    Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    TBH, if your trates are at 10 as you state, there's no need to remove any more, with the tank size and stocking you have. TrAte removal in FW tanks is best done with PWC's. Are PWC's "natural"? That's debateable I guess, in nature lots of bodies of water are replaced by various natural means.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    It just might be a little easier to increase your weekly water change amount from 33% to around 60 to 70% if you want a further reduction in nitrates

As you are using a python anyways, that would not add any extra effort for you.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    The whole point is to cut my water changes. My salt is now every 2 weeks with all the steps I've taken. I'd like to get my fresh inline with my salt and not have to change it weekly. I like doing all the tanks in 1 go, and just 'git er dun!!!'

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    I do know that Bamboo cannot be completely submerged.
    Dang!......

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    TBH, if your trates are at 10 as you state, there's no need to remove any more, with the tank size and stocking you have. TrAte removal in FW tanks is best done with PWC's. Are PWC's "natural"? That's debateable I guess, in nature lots of bodies of water are replaced by various natural means.
    Slap. They're that low because I change water weekly. I'd love to go monthly, lol

0 Not allowed!
    Lava rock can reduce nitrates.
    Steve
    50 Gallon -
    Endlers | Guppies | Blue Eyed Rice | Celestial Pearl Danios | Threadfin Rainbows | Peacock Gudgeon | Bronze Cory's
    Albino Cory's | Nerite Snails | Ghost Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    Lava rock can reduce nitrates.
    Like Basalt? Or Pumice? Doesn't that effect Ph?

0 Not allowed!
    The porous red and black lava rocks sold at the chain stores and LFS work well and do not effect ph. The white base rock and rainbow rocks can effect ph from what I've read.
    Steve
    50 Gallon -
    Endlers | Guppies | Blue Eyed Rice | Celestial Pearl Danios | Threadfin Rainbows | Peacock Gudgeon | Bronze Cory's
    Albino Cory's | Nerite Snails | Ghost Shrimp