· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Question Opinions on spring 75G changeup....

0 Not allowed!
    Hell all!
    It's been a while since I posted but I wanted to get some opinions on the 75G changeup I'll be doing in the spring. At the moment I've got juvenile koi in the tank but they're heading out to a pond once things up get warmer up here in the northeast so I'm in the process of coming up with a restocking plan. I'd love to hear opinions, particularly in regards to compatibility and upkeep.

75 Gallon - Blue/Red/Green setup plan
    30-50 Neon Tetras
    4 German Blue Rams
    6-9 Neon blue guppies (2M/1F ratio, truebreeding, optional??)
    6-10 Emerald Green or Peppered Cory Catfish
    5 Siamese Algae eaters (already in tank)
    1 Standard pleco (already in tank)

Black gravel (already in tank)
    48" LED Lighting (Current USA, 6500K, variable color/intensity)
    Heavily planted with Dwarf rotala backdrop, narrowleaf java fern edging (left and right), moss carpet and scattered bronze/green crypts with plenty of caves
    Eheim 2217 Canister filter with output 1.5 inches below surface level (rated at 160G, already in tank) with Eheim 2215 as an optional addition
    Automatic feeders (aquachef) feeding once daily with treats every other day (already on tank)
    ~20-25% water changed every 14 days
    Current water quality is moderately hard with a pH ranging from ~6.6-7.2 (generally leaning toward the acidic side)

The first thing I'll do is switch out the lighting, hopefully in the next week or so. Once the koi are gone (around the end of April depending on the weather) I'll immediately put in the corys, and guppies (along with the SAEs and pleco that are staying) to hold the cycle while I replant the tank (the koi have destroyed ALL the plants I've put in thus far). Once that's settled for a week or so I'll add the neons 1/3 at a time separated by 2-3 weeks each to reduce shock. Finally I'll add the GBRs since they're probably the most sensitive to water quality changes as things get adjusted.

So what do you all think?
    Last edited by DrNic; 03-05-2014 at 07:59 PM.
    75G Coldwater Setup (May 2011)
    Angelfish Fry Development Project

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    I think you meant 1M/2FM guppy ratio?
    I would definitely add the optional Eheim filter and also up the water changes, depending on nitrate levels between water changes, maybe 40-50% weekly.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah you might be right about the guppies. It'll essentially be 2-3 'trios', I can never remember which way those ratios go. :-)

I was reluctant to add the additional filter because i know the GBRs prefer calmer water and the 2217 already moves a LOT of current.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    If the one filter is rated for at least twice the volume of the tank and moves at least 10x the volume per hour it will be fine. I think the post originally said it was rated for less than it says now.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    You're totally right. I put in 117 (the model number) originally then noticed the mistake and edited it. You must have seen the original before I caught it.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I love the idea that you pressent... i would just take the pleco with the koi to the pond... get a breeding trio of calico or super red blue eyed bn's... something that stands out.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's