· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food for GBR's

Hybrid View

1. Default Food for GBR's

0 Not allowed!
    We are planning to get a pair of GBR's and were curious about their food. Do they eat flakes or do they need pellets that will sink? Thanks.
    40 gallon FW -1 male halfmoon betta named Max, 2 GBR's (Peter and Lois) who better clean up their act, 11neon tetras (damn GBR's killed one), 12 black neon tetras, 2 assassin snails, and 1 albino BN pleco named Tiberius.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Rams will eat flakes, pellets, freeze dried worms, and anything else that makes it to the bottom. Mine seems to particularly enjoy nibbling on the algae wafers that I feed to my ottos & BNPs.

-S

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Why do I keep reading that they are so hard to care for? What is the difficulty with them?
    40 gallon FW -1 male halfmoon betta named Max, 2 GBR's (Peter and Lois) who better clean up their act, 11neon tetras (damn GBR's killed one), 12 black neon tetras, 2 assassin snails, and 1 albino BN pleco named Tiberius.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My ram is a bolivian. I don't know if GBRs are a lot more difficult or not, I've never had one. I can definitely tell you that my ram is no more difficult to care for than any other fish that I have.

-S

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The difficulty in GBR's is getting a pair that will live long enough. A lot of the GBR's in your average LFS is small, and loaded full of hormones to make them look better. The few people I know that keep them have told me if they don't suddenly die within the first 5 months you'll more than likely be fine. Bolivians are much hardier, not as prone to sudden and undiagnosable death.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm....ok. I think we are going to be out on them for now then. We are too new at this to have to worry about that. Thanks for the feedback.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I opted for a pair of Kribensis when my plans for GBR's as the "show fish" of the tank fell through, give them a shot

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

1 Not allowed!
    The reason most GBRs die on people randomly is that most GBRs sold are commercial bred. These fish are inbred to the point where deformities are the norm and they're pumped full of hormones so that even an immature fish looks like an adult. GBR are no harder to care for than any other dwarf cichlid, imo. I've had mine for around a month or so and he's doubled in size since I purchased him. I feed him flake food, multiple kinds of quality cichlid pellets, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, Hikari Carnivore pellets, Hikari Bottom Feeder Wafers, and even an occasional Hikari algae wafer. The brand of flake I feed is Tetra and the brands of pellet I feed are Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold pellets, New Life Spectrum Cichlid formula, and New Era cichlid pellets for Central/South American cichlids. Just keep your GBRs in a warm enviroment, around 80-86F, with clean water with a pH below 7 and they'll do great.

If you don't mind purchasing online I suggest you purchase from www.germanbluerams.com I purchased my GBR from them and I have to say they are a great seller. They're a private breeder who breeds their fish in florida. They DON'T inbreed and they DON'T inject hormones which results in very healthy, strong fish that won't die randomly like other commercial bred GBRs do. The prices for their fish are the same, if not cheaper, as big-box stores, such as Petco, so I don't see why you wouldn't take the opportunity and purchase a healthy fish from them. They sell their fish very young, at only around 3-4 months old, right as the fish are reaching maturity. The fish they sell ARE sexually mature but DO NOT have their adult colors. My GBR is around 5-6 months old now and is still not his adult size or colorations. This however is also beneficial as you get to watch a cute little GBR grow up and color up into one of the most gorgeous freshwater fish you can purchase. Please take my advice and order online from www.germanbluerams.com THEY WILL NOT DISAPPOINT YOU!!
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    10 Gallon Planted: 1x Apistogramma trifasciata, 8x Nannostomus marginatus
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi, 3x Otocinclus vittatus

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gesp56 View Post
    The reason most GBRs die on people randomly is that most GBRs sold are commercial bred. These fish are inbred to the point where deformities are the norm and they're pumped full of hormones so that even an immature fish looks like an adult. GBR are no harder to care for than any other dwarf cichlid, imo. I've had mine for around a month or so and he's doubled in size since I purchased him. I feed him flake food, multiple kinds of quality cichlid pellets, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, Hikari Carnivore pellets, Hikari Bottom Feeder Wafers, and even an occasional Hikari algae wafer. The brand of flake I feed is Tetra and the brands of pellet I feed are Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold pellets, New Life Spectrum Cichlid formula, and New Era cichlid pellets for Central/South American cichlids. Just keep your GBRs in a warm enviroment, around 80-86F, with clean water with a pH below 7 and they'll do great.

If you don't mind purchasing online I suggest you purchase from www.germanbluerams.com I purchased my GBR from them and I have to say they are a great seller. They're a private breeder who breeds their fish in florida. They DON'T inbreed and they DON'T inject hormones which results in very healthy, strong fish that won't die randomly like other commercial bred GBRs do. The prices for their fish are the same, if not cheaper, as big-box stores, such as Petco, so I don't see why you wouldn't take the opportunity and purchase a healthy fish from them. They sell their fish very young, at only around 3-4 months old, right as the fish are reaching maturity. The fish they sell ARE sexually mature but DO NOT have their adult colors. My GBR is around 5-6 months old now and is still not his adult size or colorations. This however is also beneficial as you get to watch a cute little GBR grow up and color up into one of the most gorgeous freshwater fish you can purchase. Please take my advice and order online from www.germanbluerams.com THEY WILL NOT DISAPPOINT YOU!!
    That is all really great info. If we change our mind down the road and decide to give it a shot I will definitely look into this company. Thanks!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrews View Post
    I opted for a pair of Kribensis when my plans for GBR's as the "show fish" of the tank fell through, give them a shot
    The next fish we are getting is a halfmoon betta. Would a Kribensis be okay with that? We are going to add him and wait for a while to really make sure he is okay before we add anything else, but just curious if that could potentially work.