· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Tank full of dead fish!!!

0 Not allowed!
    OK....not dead yet, but almost! We think we know the cause but wanted to ask here too just to verify.

I completed a 7 day treatment of pimafix and melafix last night and did a 30% water change. I rinsed and added new activated carbon back to my filter. The water temp was stable all night long and still this morning.

Levels before the change last night were ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 0

Everything went as it usually does with nothing out of the norm.

I woke up this morning to my fish having NO COLOR! They were all white. The neons were all huddled together at the bottom of the tank and not really moving, my typically very skiddish pleco didn't budge when the light came on, and the smallest of the black neons was nearly floating sideways at the bottom of the tank. None of them were swimming around. It was very obvious that things had gone horribly wrong overnight.

I checked the ammonia and nitrite again, still 0 and 0. Temp was still fine. I did notice that the outflow valve was much lower in the water than usual though and the surface of the water wasn't breaking. So, I scooped out a bunch of water and raised the outflow valve until it had a REALLY good flow into the tank. Within 5 minutes the color was coming back to all of the fish and the sideways floater was swimming around like crazy. My pleco went back into hiding and things seem to be normalizing again. The color is coming back to the small neons, but they were still huddled together when I left for work.

So, were they suffocating? My hubby didn't realize that the surface of the water should have to break so much to oxygenate the water and so when I told him what happened he was extremely perplexed. He wants to know how long it takes for a tank to lose the oxygen it needs to support the fish. From water change to waking up was approximately 10 hours.

Any input on the situation would be really helpful! Also, do you think the small neons will pull out of it? The black neons were acting completely normal again, but they were not yet.
    40 gallon FW -1 male halfmoon betta named Max, 2 GBR's (Peter and Lois) who better clean up their act, 11neon tetras (damn GBR's killed one), 12 black neon tetras, 2 assassin snails, and 1 albino BN pleco named Tiberius.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl 
    BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl more new fish!! - SeaLady 
    Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm...it may have very well been low oxygen levels in the tank...what kind of filter is on this tank?...do you use or have an airstone?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This has never happened to me, but given that the fish started to recover as soon as you changed the water level, I'd say you are correct. Definitely sounds like aeration was the issue. My guess is that the neons will probably be okay based on the fact that your other fish are recovering.

-S

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We have a rena filstar xp1. We don't have an air stone in the tank. We are not fully stocked on the tank so I don't think the size is an issue. We have had this number of fish for about a week and a half now. This is the 3rd or 4th water change with this number of fish in the tank. We thought there may have been an issue with the new set of neons so we were doing daily water changes before we started treating them. Now I am thinking the fish with a white spot on his mouth is a growth and not a fungus or bacterial infection because it has never reacted to the treatment and he is the healthiest eater and swimmer of them all. Never any issues previously with a water change.
    40 gallon FW -1 male halfmoon betta named Max, 2 GBR's (Peter and Lois) who better clean up their act, 11neon tetras (damn GBR's killed one), 12 black neon tetras, 2 assassin snails, and 1 albino BN pleco named Tiberius.

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I've got to say....with a 40 gal with a light fish load I'm amazed that 10 hours of no aeration could cause such damage....but it sure sounds like that was the cause...

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had my aquarium without power for max 7 hours, so there was no surface movement whatsoever. And this has happened 3 to 4 times but never had any problems at all... all my fishes were acting normal and active...

Low oxygen levels are rarely a problem, if an aquarium is well maintained and not overstocked. However, if your fish are gasping at the surface of the water, it should set off a red flag prompting further investigation. If this happens then few emergency steps to be taken are 40 - 50% water change, provide surface movement but adding an airstone or if there is a power failure manually move the water surface manually. The increased water movement will improve the oxygen exchange, buying some time to address the underlying cause.

Overcrowding is the number one reason for low oxygen in an aquarium.
    Elevated water temperature can also be a cause
    Excess waste or use of certain chemicals can cause this as well.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl 
    BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl more new fish!! - SeaLady 
    Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

2 Not allowed!
    Excess waste or use of certain chemicals can cause this as well.
    Good call, maybe the meds had an effect on the O2 levels...what temp do you keep the tank at?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Good call, maybe the meds had an effect on the O2 levels...what temp do you keep the tank at?
    We keep it around 76 degrees. Wouldn't the chemicals have caused a problem while they were being treated and not after I did a water change and re-added carbon to remove them though?

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    I am not sure, i have no experience with those meds...perhaps one of the experts on them will pipe in...I'm glad your fish are doing better, though

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Me too! I was freaking out this morning! Hubby is on his way home and is supposed to let me know how they are all doing.