· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default Eartheaters in a 60-75 gallon?

0 Not allowed!
    So I've been thinking about future tanks I'd like to own and after a lot of thought I think I want to set up a large South American tank with a school of smaller Geophagus, around 4-6 inches, a smaller schooling fish and maybe some other fish species here or there. This thread is simply for me to drum up some options but I don't see this tank being set up for at least a year or two. I've found several species I like but for some reason they don't fit, whether that be availability, aggression during breeding, or something else.

The three species I've been looking at are:
    Geophagus parnaibae
    Geophagus iporangensis
    Gymnogeophagus meridionalis

As stated before I really want a school. I love the look of the Gymno but I've read that it gets really aggressive with conspecifics during breeding. I'm looking for something with color, nothing boring, around 4-6 inches in length, schooling, non-aggressive or only semi-aggressive during breeding, and community safe. If anyone has any ideas please comment!!
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

0 Not allowed!
    I would personally go with Red Head Tapajos...they only grow to 6" and are some of the most colorful. They are also fairly peaceful. I would however not suggest keeping them in less than a 75G. You can keep a group of 5 in there as long as you provide adequate territorial breaks with lots of branchy driftwood. Shoaling species would be great look into some Lemon tetras or even Serpae for a good splash of added color.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    The Tapajos are gorgeous and I have checked them out before but I really want some that's mostly blue greens and yellows. Plus I'd prefer smaller fish.. If I go with a 75 I want it to be around 4-5 in length but be taller and wider than other 75's. I really don't think I can go with a tank longer than 5ft so I'd like to keep my cichlids as small as possible. Still looking around..

EDIT: It really looks like the only feasible main school of geophagus I'll be able to get are the Tapajos. They're not my first choice but they are gorgeous fish. Do you believe they'd fair well in a 5-6ft 75-80 gallon tank? I really can't go any more in terms of length.

I really want multiple geophagus species in the tank with the Tapajos. I think I might go for a pair of bolivian rams in this tank. They're not too large but they won't cause such a problem when breeding and they'll still give me another geophagus species.. Hmm I definitely want a pair of Bolivians. Do you have any other suggestions for geophagus. I'd like a species that can fair well on its own.

For stocking I'm thinking maybe
    4-6x Red Head Tapajos
    2x Bolivian Rams
    third geophagus species maybe
    some species of schooling tetra
    and maybe some other oddball species such as a catfish species, loaches, or maybe another cichlid species.
    Last edited by Gesp56; 03-03-2014 at 08:14 PM.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~