· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thinking on it again...

0 Not allowed!
    It has been 1.5 years since I sold the last of my reef. I have the "itch" for a saltwater tank coming back again. This time I want a moderate size...nothing terribly hard to maintain. Thus I am thinking a 29G FOWLR...I DO NOT want the demands of a reef again. I would however like to enjoy all the critters and life live rock has to offer. I would be going with 30lbs of florida live rock, as I have purchased it in the past and been delighted by all of the starfish, sponges, feather dusters, macroalgae and etc. I also want a low stock...probably just a dwarf angelfish with perhaps 1 additional fish such as a single damsel.

What equipment would you toss on this tank? I would probably do 10% weekly WCs but dont really want to invest in a RO unit for that small amount.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe just a few power heads and a AquaC HOB skimmer. I would think a small HOB filter for some GFO and carbon would be a good idea as well.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I had been debating on the use of a skimmer mainly...in my last reef I ran it skimmerless however used a refugium made out of an Aqua Clear 110. I still have the converted AC110, do you feel it would be over kill to do the skimmer and the AC?

Also would you all suggest the Fugeray or the Ray II for lighting?
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    I like using skimmers for both filtration and they help to keep your oxygen levels a lot higher in the tank which also helps little with stabilizing the ph. Just my personal preference tho. If your using a AC110 as a HOB refugium on a smaller set-up like this, then the skimmer could very be a overkill and might out compete the refugium for nutrients. You could certainly do without one when using a good sized HOB refugium like that

I have never used that brand of LEDs before, but I have read a lot of good thing about them. As your planning a FOWLR tank, I would not be too hesitant to try them.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    so how does that work to create a HoB filter into a refugium? I am a noob on SW but would love to make my next tank or one of the current ones if I were to ever redo it after having a lack of critters in it.

I think I could get a decent small FOWLR setup in the 37 gallon or maybe a pico one in the 10 gallon
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    The mod is really simple, you pretty much just cut up the media basket and use silicone to attach it inside the filter. Use one of the side pieces to make a first compartment...I typically ran chemical media in this section. The next section I used LR rubble and chaeto. Simply put a small light on top of the AC on reverse daylight and youre set.

Here is a photo found online of what I am talking about. Mine looks pretty much just like that although I used the other side piece directly in front of the impeller area to make a fixed media basket.

Although I would rather have too little nutrients than too many...and the fact I am not using RO water may make the skimmer more necessary that I think at this point.

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I don't see a photo...

but a refugium correct me if I am wrong as I know nothing about it, is to keep a small chamber with out materials such as moss, live rock, etc on an opposite daylight time as the main tank to help keep nutrients and co2 down right? thus stabilizing the pH?
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/at...1&d=1324919156

Duh...sorry forgot the link.

Yes that is basically all a refugium is.

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    so if you didn't have the protein skimmer you would basically have to make your water changes larger then to keep the nutrients down?
    Current tanks:

0 Not allowed!
    That will all depend on the bio-load and how much nutrients the refugium and the live rock can process

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast