· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Microbubbles in the Sump

0 Not allowed!
    Hey,
    Husband just moved a bunch of the live rock in the display tank, now we have micro-bubble every where, what could have caused this and how do I fix it?

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Is the water level in the return pump compartment too low ? Have you been topping up for evaporation ?

With a sumped setup, the water level in your return pump compartment will be effected / lowered due to evaporation ( not the display tank or any other part of the sump ). When that happens, the water level will be lowered to the point of the pump also sucking in a little air causing micro bubbles. This has happed to me a few times when I forgot to replace the evaporated water

Most return pumps of around 1200 to 1600 gph need about 4 inches of water about the top of the pump to prevent this. You might want to make sure your return pump compartment is sized correctly as well

Or, your drain line could be putting bubble into the sump that are getting through the sump into the display tank. Adding a bubble trap or a filter sock on the drain line will fix that

Also, keep in mind you just need to top up for evaporation with pure water (not salt water). Only pure water will evaporate level all the salt and minerals behind.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks cliff,

There is are two filter socks on the overflow into the sump, then it goes through a brand new octopus super 6000sss protein skimmer, could that be the issue? The skimmer? Our pumps are in the sump with enough water.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes that could be the cause. If your skimmer is new, it is still breaking in and will not work correctly until broken in. Open the air intake and water flow valve as wide as possible and let it run like this for 5 days to a week. After that, start adjusting the flow and air intake until you start to see some skimate in the cup. After it is broken in, try adjusting the air to 75% open and then slowly start closing the water flow valve 1/4 turn at a time unitl it is running the way you want it.

Do you have a bubble trap between the skimmer compartment and the return pump compartment ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes we do, a baffle? I think that is what the fish store guy called it.

And I have to say thank you very much for replying to my thread, I read all of the information on the reef builder site and I think that your advise has helped me figure the answers to a lot of my questions. Your a real asset to have.

Thanks again

0 Not allowed!
    You are more than welcome, I'm glad to help

Most sump compartments are separated by one or two baffles. A bubble trap is a series of three baffles separating two sump compartments. It is meant to change the flow of water just enough to dissolve all the bubbles in the water before they can get to the next compartment. If you are still getting micro bubbles after the skimmer is broken in an running properly, you can add another baffle or two without emptying the sump. Its a pain in the backside, but it cam be done

perhaps you can post a pic of the baffles in question ?

As another option, you can try a very large course sponge in between the baffles as well. I once used a filter sponge from a FX5 filter in a sump with about 1100 gph of flow going through it.. You can try different sponges but you will have to watch very carefully when trying one just to make sure it will not slow down / restrict the flow in any way