· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Bettas eating fish fry?

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, so I dont know if this is the right thread or what. I am new to fish tanks and having fish and I just got my very first fish. (3 mollies) Well, one had a bunch of fry in less than 3 hours of being in "her" new tank. I have all these little fries (is that how it's spelled?) swimming around now. What should I do with them? I absolutely do not want them. People have said that bettas will help take care of the fry population. I have a 10 gallon tank. How can I ensure the fry won't survive? I know it sounds cruel, but hey, I don't have the luxury of a 100 gallon tank. If I did have a bigger tank, I would keep them. And I don't want to have to pick them out and flush them. That to me sounds cruel. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions?

2 Not allowed!
    Bettas are carnivores, and likely would view fish fry as food. However, the long flowing fins of domesticated bettas hinder them in swimming fast enough to catch the fry. If you want to go with that option, try to find a betta with the shortest fins possible, like plakats or females.

And please never flush a fish. Why is it so hard for the most intelligent species on the planet to comprehend that something out of sight does not vanish? No, the fish doesn't magically disappear once down the pipes. It will suffer an agonizing death in chlorinated sewage. If you need to kill a fish, clove oil would be a much more humane option to do so.

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Pretty much any fish with a big enough mouth to swallow them and capable of swimming fast enough to catch them will eat fry. A betta might not be the best choice, as it could be aggressive toward your adult mollies. If you decide to euthanize the fry, freezing them in tank water has always seemed like a fairly humane approach to me.

-S

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Could always try giving them away as food for something else. Some stores buy back fish once they are a bit bigger.

I suggest making sure all the fish you have are the same sex, and keep it that way. Females can give birth multiple times with just one mating, so you may get fry for a while....but it will stop eventually.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    omg did i really just find someone else who uses clove oil for euthanizing fish too!? *highfive*
    and stingray freezing fish is NOT humane in any way shape or form it would be like you freezing to death and not have any way of heating yourself
    if you want a few or just one of the babies you can likely give the fish to petco or another local place (petsmart will not take donated fish) and or put them in a baby breeder box that sits inside the tank or something because with bettas it depends on the fish but i have never had luck with even female bettas as far as temperment my female bettas all went on kiling sprees

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    one of my female bettas in particular went on a massive killing spree wiping out a rasbora het, a platy, an oto cat, and a few guppies and so being the evil basterd i am i gave it to my friend to throw to his silver dollars :D

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was just gonna say... betta with mollies... haha

8. Default

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfab32 View Post
    one of my female bettas in particular went on a massive killing spree wiping out a rasbora het, a platy, an oto cat, and a few guppies and so being the evil basterd i am i gave it to my friend to throw to his silver dollars :D
    I love this post, because literally the first post above it is you criticizing someone for being inhuman.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    all that humane stuff changes in an instant when a fish kills my other fish that arent doing anything to the attacker revenge is a b**** and so was that betta lol

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfab32 View Post
    all that humane stuff changes in an instant when a fish kills my other fish that arent doing anything to the attacker revenge is a b**** and so was that betta lol
    Glad I'm not a fish in your tank. Usually when something like that happens it's due to species incompatibility, which is owner error, not the fault of the fish. He's just doing what comes instinctively.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"