· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default My community on courgette day

0 Not allowed!
    Firstly, apologies for the poor quality of photos. Sadly I don't own a decent camera, but I hope it's still OK to share some low resolution pictures I got from my community tank yesterday - it was courgette day, always the favourite day of the month for my stock!

The Amanos are always first to any food party

This Cherry hitched a lift on an Shrimp!Taxi

The next group of scavengers arrive
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 10x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 2x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

10g planted: Bael the betta & black devil trumpet snail

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    And then it suddenly turns into a total Free-For-All! How many species can you see?

... and what is this? I ALMOST got ONE good photo!
    I got a dozen blurred Amano pictures - and this lovely clear, focussed one ... Totally photobombed by Ms Guppy.

Thanks for enjoying them with me I know they are all beginner's fish, but I am very attached to my little community. They are a good balance. The only species that didn't want to participate in the photoshoot were the black neons and the pygmy corys who actually both darted in and out so fast that any pic of them is a total blur.
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 10x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 2x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

1 Not allowed!
    lovely pictures.
    your cories appear thin though. unless hungry, cories(and likely khuli loaches too) won't attempt to feed on zucchini, as they are carnivorous by nature.
    could the food you are feeding be falling through the large gaps in the gravel? that is a problem I used to have, until I solved it with reptile food dishes.

1 Not allowed!
    Very nice. I've not tried zucchini before but after seeing all your fish and shrimp enjoying it, I'll have to give it a try.
    Steve
    50 Gallon -
    Endlers | Guppies | Blue Eyed Rice | Celestial Pearl Danios | Threadfin Rainbows | Bronze Cory's
    Albino Cory's | Nerite Snails | Ghost Shrimp

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Your photos are wonderful!! I really enjoyed looking at them....and they are impressive!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    lovely pictures.
    your cories appear thin though. unless hungry, cories(and likely khuli loaches too) won't attempt to feed on zucchini, as they are carnivorous by nature.
    could the food you are feeding be falling through the large gaps in the gravel? that is a problem I used to have, until I solved it with reptile food dishes.
    OK that is a great tip, thanks.

And I feel AWFUL now because I have actually lost 2 of the original corys but blamed their youth and bad settling in as they were new to me. I do feed "meaty" foods as well but they sure were keen on the courgette.

The kuhlis seem to eat everything - though they can be shy at first. They burrow inside the pebbles and have recently produced a VERY unexpected baby kuhli so I am not too worried about them. The older ones are fat and "juicy" and the younger ones smaller and thinner. They don't seem to struggle to get at foodstuff. But the corys I can imagine having a problem. The Amanos are very greedy too and can grab huge chunks of food day and night. They prefer the algae so I try to chuck in a varied daily diet so everything gets what it wants/needs. Perhaps I'll go do a might night feeding of bloodworm.

I can feed on the sand and on the slates or in dishes but the Amanos just grab it, :( Ugh ... Perhaps the corys will have to move into my new 8G Nano when it's cycled, at least temporarily ...

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Could u maybe do 2 feedings? Like at the same time. Feed the main fish who get in first in one area, possibly rocky, then where the Corys put a small dish down where they are with more food? Just an idea...