· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: New tank set-up

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A fish to get you started - steeler58   

Default New tank set-up

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Guys,

Just finished setting up all the plumbing for the new tank, how or what do I use to clean the tank out? Vinegar? Hot water, de-chlorinated water?

And should I mix the saltwater directly in the tank with the substrate in there or mix in in buckets?

Need to know ASAP, probably call the fish store, but I would appreciate your input.

Thank you

So excited but complicated

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    As for cleaning the tank hot water and or vinegar would be ok. If you use vinegar just rinse it well. Use vinegar for water stains or stuff that is really stuck

I think you probably want to pre-mix the SW, but I'll let the SW guys chime in on that

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7   Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199   Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I would think you would pre-mix any saltwater before adding it to the tank as well. So that you can verify the salinity as well. [disclaimer: I am not a sw guy]
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for your help

The tank is brand new never been used, built just for us, looks really clean a is. Should i still use vinegar? with de-chlorinated water?

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Just use a clean, well rinsed cloth rag to wipe it out. And yes pre-mix the salt in a bucket, per the post's above,
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I have 135 galon tank with a sump, I will also be adding 150 lbs of live rock. How much should I make?? 3/4's?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7   Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199   Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I would recommend making it as you need it, batch by batch after you got it cleaned out, live rock added and organized, then substrate, then add water as you need - start off with say mixing 50 gallons and go from there that way you also got some leeway for doing some decor shifting and what not before topping it off.

Also if you don't have it already with that much live rock, a lot of people add egg-crate to the bottom of the tank to help spread the weight of the rock over the entire base of the aquarium. Of course substrate goes in after the rock as you want the rock on top of the egg-crate / bottom not the substrate due to the possibility of shifting and causing rock to fall.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    um......... think I need to make the full amount of water or else the water will not reach the over flow into the sump

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    you will get it there eventually, I suggested a lesser amount at first so you can see how the decor is with some water and how it settles, that way you can move stuff around as needed, once satisfied with it, then make enough to fill the rest of the way and the sump as well.
    Current tanks: