· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default what to look for when picking a betta...

0 Not allowed!
    The poor betta in the LFS all look so sad and sickly. I was in there a few days ago when i saw a girl bring one to the counter that was dead in a cup... My plan would be to bring the betta home to an empty tank because I imagine they're all sick and would take some work before anything else went in? (I'm at least a month away probably from having my 40g breeder up and going. I am just thinking about things)

Is it better to bring one home to an empty tank? How can you tell if it has an aggressive personality if it's by itself? Since my 40b will be a peaceful community should I get something I could put into my main tank if they didnt get along? like a platy? or are they too colorful?

Is there a good way to tell which betta would be healthiest or do you just pick one you like and nurse it?

3 Not allowed!
    If you want a healthy betta from the start you are better off not getting one from a cup. For a store to maintain healthy fish in those with only 4-6oz of water it would take no less than daily changes of their water. I can guarantee you most of those fish do not see a single WC until they are either dead or sold. You may could find fish in better condition if you found out when the store received the fish and got one that same day. Purchasing from a breeder online is also a good choice...I have used Chard on Aquabid many times with pleasant results.

With that said...you should always quarantine new fish. I have kept bettas in community setups many times. Bettas themselves are honestly not very aggressive, long fin ones often are the ones who suffer from tankmate abuse. Their long fins often get nipped and picked at by other fish. Shortfin bettas do much better in community tanks as they can swim more normally without having to drag around that mass of fins.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    If you have to get one from a cup, look for signs of activity....if it pays interest to you, flares, etc. Try to avoid fish with severely clamped fins, or any signs of ragged fins. Bloat, and other obvious illnesses are to be avoided unless you are serious about saving their life.

If you get them soon enough, putting them in clean water improves their health dramatically. A tank full of even peaceful fish can stress out a beta...most live their whole lives up to that point in total isolation. Gradual introduction is best.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!