· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default A chronicle on how to photograph fish

0 Not allowed!
    I've come across a little free time in my schedule coming up, so I plan on finally being able to spend a little time on working on how to best photograph fish.

I figured that one or two other members may wish to keep up with the progress, so I figured that this section seemed to be the most appropriate (mods feel free to move if I am mistaken).

To begin with, I'll go over the equipment to be used and settings.

Since I do photography for a living my equipment will vary from probably everyone else, but the approach should translate well to anyone using a semi modern (last 6 years) dslr camera with an external flash (not built onto camera).

I'll be using the following:

Nikon D3
    Sb900 Flash (off camera fired remotely with pocket wizards)
    Nikkor 50mm lens coupled with a 2x teleconverter or Sigma 28-90mm macro coupled with a 36mm macro tube.

Each picture presented will have settings posted so that others can play along

Now, this information will give you a place to start but it will take plenty of practice to get good at it. I've taken well over 1 million images during my 22 years in the photography business so don't expect to learn every trick of the trade from this post.

I'll also take pics of the setups as I go along.

Hopefully over a relatively short period of time my fish photos will become "good" by my standards.

Here is my starting point: (what I consider to be an okay image)

The settings are:

Nikkor 50mm with 2x teleconverter: In my D3, I shoot in 5:4 mode so it will throw off the focal length sometimes.

Camera NIKON D3
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length 50mm (55mm in 35mm)
    Aperture f/2.8
    Exposure Time 0.0125s (1/80)
    Flash flash fired, compulsory flash mode, return light not detected
    Metering pattern
    Exposure Program manual
    Exposure Bias 0 EV
    Exposure Mode manual
    White Balance manual
    Contrast 0
    Saturation 0
    Sharpness 2
    Steve
    50 Gallon -
    Endlers | Guppies | Blue Eyed Rice | Celestial Pearl Danios | Threadfin Rainbows | Peacock Gudgeon | Bronze Cory's
    Albino Cory's | Nerite Snails | Ghost Shrimp

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll be watching this thread. For the life of me, I can't take a decent picture of my fish or tank even with a decent camera. Thanks for investing your time!
    37g Freshwater 1 Angelfish, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Cardinals, 1 Bristlenose Pleco.
    Live Plants Java Fern, Anubias Nana, Amazon Sword, Java moss, Moneywort, and Bronze Wendtii.

0 Not allowed!
    Are you looking for critique and suggestions? Or is this just to share what you're learning?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Are you looking for critique and suggestions? Or is this just to share what you're learning?
    I don't think he wants to learn. His post sounds like he wants us to learn from him.

"Now, this information will give you a place to start but it will take plenty of practice to get good at it. I've taken well over 1 million images during my 22 years in the photography business so don't expect to learn every trick of the trade from this post."
    40 gallon FW -1 male halfmoon betta named Max, 2 GBR's (Peter and Lois) who better clean up their act, 11neon tetras (damn GBR's killed one), 12 black neon tetras, 2 assassin snails, and 1 albino BN pleco named Tiberius.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    this is already a big whoosh over the head, but I am looking to invest in a decent starter dslr -

was looking at the Nikon D3200 or D5100 as in my price range. Can get a bundle here with extra lenses for about $400 - not sure how those compare
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    If anyone wishes to critique or offer a suggestion, please do. I am always open to learning something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenalee View Post
    I don't think he wants to learn. His post sounds like he wants us to learn from him.
    I'm sorry that you thought my post gave you the impression that I am not open to learning. While I have been doing this more than 2 decades it doesn't mean that I know it all or that I assume that I do.
    Steve
    50 Gallon -
    Endlers | Guppies | Blue Eyed Rice | Celestial Pearl Danios | Threadfin Rainbows | Peacock Gudgeon | Bronze Cory's

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    so Cygnus what opinions do you have on either of the 2 camera I listed for a starter
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
    so Cygnus what opinions do you have on either of the 2 camera I listed for a starter
    One recommendation, never buy a camera based on price alone. Go to a local store (don't buy) and hold several different types of cameras to see what feels best in your hands. If able, access the menus and play with the buttons to see which seems easier to you. If a camera doesn't feel right, you won't use it and you end up wasting money.

I would limit my choices to Nikon, Canon or Sony for starter cameras. All make very good systems.

Both of them are motorless auto focus systems (like the majority of starter cameras). Now this isn't necessarily bad, it just means that every lens you buy must have a motor built in. The newer G and D lenses come with a motor.

Either one is a decent choice. Personally I would save a little longer and get a D7000.

Another suggestion, when it comes time to buy I would suggest looking on B&H photo or Adorama as they are the largest in the country and their prices are usually the best.
    Steve
    50 Gallon -

9. Talking

0 Not allowed!
    Cygnus, I have subscribed.

You used flash, can one use camera w/ built in flash, to get the same result?
    Good picture above, but the other fish up his tail -end?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pRED View Post
    You used flash, can one use camera w/ built in flash, to get the same result?
    None of my cameras have a built in flash and I haven't used one in many, many years. I never recommend using built in flash for photography as they are very limiting, but if that's all you have there are some options for bouncing and diffusing.

I'll be attempting other light option besides a flash during this experiment. A flash may not be the best option for fish photography. I'll be trying lamps, flashlights, and some other light sources to see what works best.

Quote Originally Posted by pRED View Post
    Good picture above, but the other fish up his tail -end?
    Yeah, my endlers like to photobomb.
    Steve
    50 Gallon -