· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Starting 40G Tank - Advice needed

0 Not allowed!
    I'm pretty new to fish keeping and very new to the forum.

I have just been given a 40 gallon quarter cylinder tank by a fellow ex-pat who's leaving town. I had been wanting to start a bigger second tank, and this was the perfect opportunity to motivate me to begin.

When I went to pick up the tank it was literally a quarter full of slimey, goop which was a mixture of algae, rotting plant matter, fish waste and who-knows-what-else! I have now cleaned the tank by hosing, scrubbing, drying, vacuuming, scrubbing again, and finally (after seeing advice to another person on this forum) bleaching and rinsing again.

After seeing the state my friend left his tank in, I threw away everything except for a few nice rocks and have so far purchased the following equipment new:

A 500G / hour outside canister filter with in-built UV light and 4 media trays
    Purchased media separately. Bio Balls, Wool, Charcoal and Ceramic discs - installed in that order from in to out.
    2 x 1/4 inch bulkheads
    2 x 200w Heater
    Internal artificial rock wall background
    Fine gravel suitable for planting
    Course gravel I'm planning on using as a top layer, purely because I like the way it looks (it reminds me of a creek bed on the property I grew up on back home).

I would love to get some Cichlids (is my tank too small for Discus?), some Tetras, and low light live plants.

I have some questions which I'd love to get some advice from more experienced people on.

With the outside canister filter, should I install a weir/ overflow or should I just use the plumbing that came with the filter? I've seen a lot of people installing them into tanks, but always with a sump.

I really want the life support to be as invisible as possible. My tank has glass sides and bottom (not tempered). Should I install bulkheads in the bottom of the tank with the filter I have, or is it not a good idea?

If I install the bulkheads, where are the best locations for a quarter cylinder tank for good flow?
    Should I (can I) use an undergravel filter or not?

How hard is it to clean the artificial rock wall? Does waste get behind it, or caught in it?

Would it be possible for me to run plumbing and air hoses etc, behind the fake rock wall if I seal it all really well?

With the mix of gravel, will it be a nightmare to clean?

At the minute I have a clean empty tank, and I'm itching to get started on it, but I think it best to seriously plan and think through before drilling holes, installing overflows that I may not need, etc, etc

Thanks in advance. Answers to any of the above questions would be very much appreciated.

Ant

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Hello and welcome to the forum.. :)

Firstly, IMO do not add charcoal in the canister, as its used to remove any medication from the tank. I would add an extra filter wool or sponge instead of charcoal so Beneficial bacteria can grow on it.

The plumbing that cam with the filter will work.

I would not advise to use under-gravel filter. Undergravel filters are usually not preferred for planted tanks, because the roots of the plants can eventually clog the filter plate. Moreover these are hard to maintain and clean and can Produce Noxious Gases--Creating Dead Zones.

IMO no need to clean the artificial rock wall. If you stick it to the aquarium wall, i don't think the mess will go behind it. I have one with no problems. Its been 4 months, not cleaned the rock wall and still looks cool. Some algae may grow on it and it looks more natural..

While doing weekly partial water changes, just siphon the dirt out of the gravel. Not that difficult :)

I would not advise to run plumbing and install air hoses behind the rock wall.

Best of luck in setting up your aquarium. Please post pics once done.. :)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your quick reply!!

Ok, great I'll swap the charcoal for sponge. I thought that if I needed to medicate fish, I would start a quarantine tank, but I guess that wouldn't help if the main tank was already infected with Ich or similar.

I guessed the plumbing that came with the filter would work, but it is IMO ugly having pipes hanging over the side of the tank - especially when I have the filter sitting directly under the tank, and a workshop full of tools at my disposal which would enable me to plumb the tank quite easily (even if it's not behind the rock wall as you advise).

Thanks again for your advice. I really appreciate it.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkyant View Post
    A 500G / hour outside canister filter with in-built UV light and 4 media trays
    Purchased media separately. Bio Balls, Wool, Charcoal and Ceramic discs - installed in that order from in to out.
    2 x 1/4 inch bulkheads
    2 x 200w Heater
    Internal artificial rock wall background
    Fine gravel suitable for planting
    Course gravel I'm planning on using as a top layer, purely because I like the way it looks (it reminds me of a creek bed on the property I grew up on back home).
    Not sure what you mean by bulkheads. Coarse gravel would make most bottom dwelling species a no go. 500g filtration is about 10 times tank volume per hour which is a LOT
    I would love to get some Cichlids (is my tank too small for Discus?), some Tetras, and low light live plants.
    Depends on the exact tank dimensions but it's on the small side for discus. They do demand clean and stable water which isn't too hard and they do not like high flow all that much. Have you looked into a
    I have some questions which I'd love to get some advice from more experienced people on.

With the outside canister filter, should I install a weir/ overflow or should I just use the plumbing that came with the filter? I've seen a lot of people installing them into tanks, but always with a sump.

I really want the life support to be as invisible as possible. My tank has glass sides and bottom (not tempered). Should I install bulkheads in the bottom of the tank with the filter I have, or is it not a good idea?

If I install the bulkheads, where are the best locations for a quarter cylinder tank for good flow?
    Should I (can I) use an undergravel filter or not?

How hard is it to clean the artificial rock wall? Does waste get behind it, or caught in it?

Would it be possible for me to run plumbing and air hoses etc, behind the fake rock wall if I seal it all really well?

With the mix of gravel, will it be a nightmare to clean?

At the minute I have a clean empty tank, and I'm itching to get started on it, but I think it best to seriously plan and think through before drilling holes, installing overflows that I may not need, etc, etc

Thanks in advance. Answers to any of the above questions would be very much appreciated.

Ant
    What you could do is put the background a bit from the back of the tank and hide the stuff behind it. Alternatively buy a clear acrylic inflow and spraybar and exchange the heaters for an external hydor.

The rock wall will get dirty which will actually help in making it look less artificial.

Drilling the tank for some pipes will make it easy to hide equipment as well but there's always a risk of cracking the bottom.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Not sure what you mean by bulkheads. Coarse gravel would make most bottom dwelling species a no go. 500g filtration is about 10 times tank volume per hour which is a LOT
    From the sounds of it, this is probably a SUNSUN canister (only one I know that comes with UV and not the filter media) - if thats the case, the 500 gph is without media, and will end up less than that.

I run two AC110s on my 75, which will probably end up around the same as what he is pulling in tank turnover

I agree - tank is too small for discus

For organizing the filter media I would do the following - Filter Sponge, Wool (should be 100% poly - same as pillow stuffing), bioballs, ceramic media OR you can make the wool last. But the sponge should be first before the bioballs

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When you say course gravel for the top layer do you mean it's rough and sharp or do you mean it's large and smooth? If it's large and smooth, it will be fine for bottom dwellers.

It sounds like a Sunsun filter to me too. I'm very pleased with mine, though I didn't get the one with UV.

I don't think there's any reason to have an overflow with a canister, but I could be wrong. I run several canisters and have never seen a need for an overflow.

My sister has one of those 40 gallon quarter round aquariums, beautiful tank, IMO.

-S

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Talldutchie
    Not sure what you mean by bulkheads.

-S
    I just mean the plumbing coupling with O rings etc that you use to put the pipes through the hole in the glass.

What you could do is put the background a bit from the back of the tank and hide the stuff behind it.
    -S
    This is what I was thinking :)

...there's always a risk of cracking the bottom.
    -S
    I own a company that builds nightclubs here in Dubai and have a full workshop at my disposal. A couple of holes in some glass is not a difficult project for me. So if it's beneficial I want to do it. But I just wanted to know if there would be a reason not to do it.

Triton, yep it's a Sunsun. filter media advice much appreciated. And yes Stingrayg4 they are beautiful, smooth, shiny larger pebbles (dark grey with some greenish and reddish hues). They look like they came from a fast moving river bed.

I was thinking about experimenting with a combined skimmer mechanism, where I make a weir from a 5" PVC pipe cut in half and silliconed in the corner of the cylinder, but also make a small inlet at the bottom, with less flow than pump suction so that the water gets sucked in from the lower third of the tank, but water still skims over the top. Anyone ever seen, heard of, done this before?

By the way guys, thanks for taking the time to share your wisdom and advice.

0 Not allowed!
    :) Sounds like a bit of construction will be no problem then. Have you considerd building a more appropriate (rectangular) tank?

Broadly speaking there's two ways that people do pipework. Intake is either at surface level so that it skims anything that may float and the risks of something small getting sucked in is minimal or they're several inches over the bottom to get more fecal matter. Return is usually quite high in the tank to allow it to splash the surface and get some air in.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/DIY_Plumbing_101 will contain everything you could possibly want to know and more. It's for salties but a lot applies to fresh as well.

Somehow this got lost: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...cutter_29g.php and yes that's for a smaller tank but your tank will have a footprint that's about equal to this.

Did a bit of googling. Apparently much if not all the tap water in Dubai is desalinated sea water and quite rich in minerals. This would be a good starting point for an African lake cichlid tank but far less for a South American setup. Alternatively, have you considered marine? I don't know local laws but I can imagine getting some live rock is very easy and cheap there.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

2 Not allowed!
    can we got a pic of what it all looks like so far... easier for us visual types
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will check out those links now.

Yep you are correct. I live less than a mile (about a kilometer) from the worlds biggest desalination plant at Jebel Ali. The ph tester tells me that my tap water is about 7.2

I know that marine tanks are considered superior, but I actually prefer freshwater because of my own emotional ties to freshwater species. I grew up on 80 acres of rainforest in Australia and was lucky enough to have a creek flowing through the property and an older brother into fish keeping. He kept Cod, Grunters, Bass, freshwater crayfish, Saratoga and Barramundi amongst other things. I once lived in a house with 2 3000 gallon (not a typo) tanks and various other sized aquariums. So I really would like to learn to master the art of freshwater fish keeping.

I'm sure I will end up with bigger tanks, but for now I want to make a go of the one that I have. Sort of my entry into more serious fish keeping.

But yes there is a lot of availability of stock and gear for people into marine tanks here in the UAE.

I am pretty busy with work for the next day or so, but will take some pics of where I'm currently at, when I get a few moments.

Best,

Ant