· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Random deaths of Guppies.

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone,

I'm not an expert in fish keeper , but I can say I have enough experience, so here's my problem:

My guppies keep dying randomly. Everyday at least one or two. Mostly females and occasionally the males too. Yes quite embarrassing actually, everyone says they are the easiest fish to have but for some reason I find keeping mollies and platys much easier then silly old guppies.

This is whats happening:

1) All fish seem happy; almost everyday I see more babies from guppies & mollies. (6 neon tetras, several black and white mollies and handful of guppies.)
    2) All fish are fine, except the guppies they are happy and swimming and one second later I come back and see one dead, and that keeps happening. One at a time, no apparent sickness at all they were perfectly ok no weird behavior at all.
    3) Water quality seems ok, PH, ammonia, nitrates etc...
    4) Partial water changes every week
    5) Bacteria (CYCLE) is added as recommended for partial water changes

My 2nd tank; I have platys, red eye balloon tetras and gold mollies, Marigold swordtail. They are all fine.

I cant seem to figure out my 1st tank what it is with me and the guppies. Totally got me bugged. Any suggestions?

2. Default

2 Not allowed!
    What exactly are your water parameters, and I'm wondering why do you add "cycle" when doing a water change? Is the tank not yet cycled and are you using a dechlorinator as well. With a little more info someone might have some ideas for you.

2 Not allowed!
    If this is what you are adding
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3983

you need to stop, this does not dechlorinate the water, you need to buy a dechlorinator to use instead, let us know the exact water params (0,0,0) is actually not a good reading for most people typically

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When I do weekly partial changes; I use Api Stress coat and Stress Zyme.
    http://www.apifishcare.com/product.p...3#.Uw9BuePJo9U
    http://www.apifishcare.com/product.p...2#.Uw9BjuPJo9U

PH is around 70 - 7.4
    Ammonia is at a safe level <0.02ppm

Last I checked nitrate and nitrite was at a safe level aswell.

0 Not allowed!
    typically any ammonia is a bad sign... Ideally you want 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and low nitrates (but some)

0 Not allowed!
    Guppies are by default hardy fish, but generations of inbreeding can make any species prone to illness.
    When you look at them do you check how fast they are breathing?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They'd seem normal. Happily swimming around. Foraging, poking and nibbling at plants.

1 Not allowed!
    As mentioned, guppies are usually strong fish and can live in a much wider range of conditions than most fish. However, there are some breeding issues. They also don't react to stress very well (in my experience).

How long has the tank been set up?
    What size is the tank?
    What other fish are in the tank?
    How many fish are in the tank?
    What is the hardness of the water?
    Have you used any medications?
    How are you acclimating the fish?
    Are you quarantining the fish?
    Are you buying the guppies at the same place as the other fish?
    How long have you owned the guppies?
    Steve
    50 Gallon -
    Endlers | Guppies | Blue Eyed Rice | Celestial Pearl Danios | Threadfin Rainbows | Bronze Cory's
    Albino Cory's | Nerite Snails | Ghost Shrimp

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    You've been given great info so far...but first and foremost it sounds like this tank is not cycled...read the cycling stickies in the beginner section
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have nothing but bad luck with guppies and have given up on trying to keep them. I like to blame the guppies' inbreeding rather than my own ineptitude.

-S