· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Setting up a new 180 gallon saltwater tank please help

0 Not allowed!
    I am new to saltwater. I have a 180 gallon tank that already has two sets of holes drilled on the back corners on the bottom. they are 3/4" and 1". I also have a 55 gallon tank that I want to use as the sump tank. I would like to set it up with fish and invertebrates for now. I also have a nw2006540b octopus protein skimmer, a UV sterilizer, two 300watt heaters, dc6000 pump, two jvp-102 wave makers that are suppose to push 3170 GPH each. I purchased a light system from someone that had a 180 gallon reef tank and was going up to a 300gallon tank it works great, I figure if and when we want to go to a reef, we will have the lighting. I am going to pick up a bio pellet reactor yet but what I really really need is help in setting up my sump tank. If anyone could give me any plans or drawings, anything to help me set the sump tank up. I'm not even sure which lines go to sump tank; (the 3/4" or 1") and with goes back to the tank. Should I also use bio balls in the first chamber, and how does everything tie together in the sump pump. ANY help will be great.
    Thanks

1 Not allowed!
    The below links to our saltwater blogg here should help. They will give you the information you are asking for without me having to type out a very long-winded answer for you

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/some-sump-basics/

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/aqu...umbing-basics/

You can use bio-balls, but I would not suggest it. The below link can give you alternatives to using bio-balls

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/com...ine-aquariums/

I have also moved your thread to the saltwater section of the forum. You should get more responses in the correct section. And welcome to the forum

Edit:
    I forgot to add that as you are planning to start carbon dosing right from the start (using the bio-pellets), I thought I would add the below link that explains more about carbon dosing

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/car...laymans-terms/
    Last edited by Cliff; 02-27-2014 at 11:32 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff, your the man. This is a lot of great information. One thing about this tank, it has the two hole on each side but why did they drill one at 1" and the other 3/4" on both sides. Should I use the 1" to go into the sump on both sides. I'm taking your advise and not using the bio balls, but I do want to use the bio pellet reactor from reef octopus. It seems to have very good reviews and should help with the biological filtration in getting it going faster and better. So if I run the dirty water in to the first chamber, with nothing in it, then run it through the baffles to take out the bubbles when it enters the next chamber I would have my reef octopus skimmer there and the heaters, then into the last chamber through another baffle to were my bio pellet reactor and UV sterilizer is and back up to the tank. In your opinion, should I still use a Refugium with live rock or is this the best approach. I just want to keep as much flow as I can but I could use the template where the refugium is on one side and put the skimmer in the first chamber, just don't have any idea how to get rid of all the small bubbles that will form when the water dumps in the sump. Thanks Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    Your flow will be limited by the size of the drain and return lines. With two 1 inch drain lines, you would not be able to have more than 1200 gph. I would start form there and work your way backwards form there

You can also use a filter sock on the drain line coming into the sump to get rid of all bubbles entering the sump

How much live rock are you planning to have in your display tank ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking about the filter socks, but don't you have to change them out a lot. I'm going to a pet store here and look at them. I'm thinking 2- 4" socks that each 1" pipe going into the tank. I also decided that I will use the refugium on one side with live rock In it. Now with that side I don't add the sock right? I will set this up so the skimmer and bio pellet reactor are on the other side with the sock. Then the middle will hold the heaters, UV sterilizer, and return pump using the 3/4" lines. I will have the float in there also, but still need to see how that is wired. I found out my skimmer needs to be in 8.5" of water to run right. I'm not sure how high each divider should be to make it run right. If I'm using socks to illuminate the small bubbles then I really don't need to put the baffles in the sump do I, what do you think? I also just wanted to thank you again Cliff for all this great help you have given me. I will be up loading photo's when I start putting this together so everyone can see it and if they want, give suggestions as it's progressing. Thanks again.
    Roy

0 Not allowed!
    I have three sets of filter socks for my set-up. I change them about every 4 or 5 days. That gives me enough time to clean the dirty ones and have them ready for the next use, as well as a spare set for those days that I am feeling too lazy to clean dirty filter socks

If your skimmer need to be in 8.5 inches of water, then your baffles should be no less than 8.5 inches in that compartment. You can have them higher and build a stand of sorts for your skimmer to sit on so it is in 8.5 inches of water. Just don’t forget to leave enough room for all the drain back you will get into the sump should your return pump stop working.

It does sound like you are heading on the right track. Without know more about any live rock you will be adding to the main tank, or what type of stocking your are planning for the set-up, I can’t be much more help here