· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    My freeze dried bloodworms are always soaked in tank water for a few hours before feeding...I've read that problems can arise when fed dry to certain fish
    Maybe feeding them dry is the reason I get a mixed reaction. Will try soaking them next time and see how that goes.
    Attitude is everything.

40 gallon FW tank: Black sand substrate, lots of live plants,
    10 long-finned zebra danios, 11 neon tetras, 6 platys, 6 julli corys, cherry shrimp and 6 nerite snails.

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I have panda corys and 12 danios. I usually feed flakes and spectrum (tiny sinking pellets) and then 2 hours later before the lights go out i toss in a wafer. My pandas have no problem eating while the gourami, bloodfins, neons and danios are pecking away also. I do break the wafer in half though so part can go on one side and part on the other. a lot of times the fish will peck at one and a panda and gourami will share another. my plecos must wait until i go to bed. lol

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by houdini56 View Post
    Maybe feeding them dry is the reason I get a mixed reaction. Will try soaking them next time and see how that goes.
    It made a world of difference for me...the dry bloodworms were barely touched, and like I mentioned, can cause digestive upset in certain fish

Just get a small clean bowl, add some tank water, and sprinkle in some of the FD bloodworms...stir a bit, and let soak at least 2 hours...the water will turn a reddish-brown color...then use a clean spoon to feed (mine gets divided between 2 tanks)...the fish absolutely devour it
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    It made a world of difference for me...the dry bloodworms were barely touched, and like I mentioned, can cause digestive upset in certain fish

Just get a small clean bowl, add some tank water, and sprinkle in some of the FD bloodworms...stir a bit, and let soak at least 2 hours...the water will turn a reddish-brown color...then use a clean spoon to feed (mine gets divided between 2 tanks)...the fish absolutely devour it
    Interesting. Do you know what fish have trouble with them dry? I've been feeding them straight out of the can for years, hate to think I'm causing digestive distress to the fish. I'll start soaking them in the future.

-S

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingrayg4 View Post
    Interesting. Do you know what fish have trouble with them dry? I've been feeding them straight out of the can for years, hate to think I'm causing digestive distress to the fish. I'll start soaking them in the future.

-S
    I can't recall right now which ones are affected, another member here advised me that the dry worms cause distress in some of their fish....do try the soaking method, I'm willing to bet your fish will like them better that way

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingrayg4 View Post

-S
    I'm also curious about this as I have also been feeding my fish dry.
    Steve
    50 Gallon -
    Endlers | Guppies | Blue Eyed Rice | Celestial Pearl Danios | Threadfin Rainbows | Bronze Cory's
    Albino Cory's | Nerite Snails | Ghost Shrimp

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    If I recall correctly, the issue was with the FDBW expanding within the fish's belly once it began to re-hydrate, causing constipation issues

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I will have to try soaking them also to see how that works. I do know my fish especially the mollies are great scavengers, even if the food lands on a rock or driftwood for the flakes they will hunt it down and eat it. Because they all fight over the same flake so bits break off and land then they hunt those out after the top stuff is gone. Even then the stuff on the log is gone within a minute or two after feeding.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    That's interesting. I'll try to remember to soak the freeze dried food in garlic guard before feeding.
    Steve
    50 Gallon -
    Endlers | Guppies | Blue Eyed Rice | Celestial Pearl Danios | Threadfin Rainbows | Bronze Cory's
    Albino Cory's | Nerite Snails | Ghost Shrimp

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I was reading about Garlic Guard a few days ago, but have not seen it mentioned here much on the AC...what foods have you soaked in it, Cygnus?...did you buy it merely as a flavoring, or also for the purported benefits associated with internal parasites?