· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Feeding sinking pellets, wafers - and danios!

0 Not allowed!
    I had six corys arrive today and they are very active and curious, so far so good.

They are, however, in a community tank that includes 13 zebra danios (pigs dressed in fish clothing). I have shrimp pellets and a couple kind of sinking wafers, but wondering how this will work out.

Just to see what happens I dropped a couple shrimp pellets in when I fed the rest of the fish a while ago. As expected, when the danios finished their flake food they (along with the platys) went after the shrimp pellets, nibbling at them while pushing them around the tank.

The shrimp pellets seem to stay firm for quite a while so wondering - do most people soak them at all before putting them in the tank?

I haven't tried the wafers yet -- at least they are large enough that maybe some will be left over for the corys!

Anyway, my main concern is that the corys get a chance to eat something and I'm not sure how that's going to happen with the danios around.

I realize that being new to the tank I don't need to worry about the corys eating right away...just trying to anticipate how meal time is going to go in the future. Appreciate hearing from those of you with corys in a community tank. Thanks!
    Attitude is everything.

40 gallon FW tank: Black sand substrate, lots of live plants,
    10 long-finned zebra danios, 11 neon tetras, 6 platys, 6 julli corys, cherry shrimp and 6 nerite snails.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cories are pretty good at picking the leftovers out of the gravel. They'll probably be fine, they seem to be able to reach into crevices that would be inaccessible to the danios.

I don't soak pellets or wafers, just toss them in dry.

If you think zebra danios are pigs, try giant danios. It's a real feeding frenzy when any food his the water.

-S

3. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the reply. No crevices here because they are on sand, but there are plants, logs, etc. so I suppose there will be dribs and drabs that get tucked away.

Can't imagine giant danios! I heard somebody say danios don't live in schools, they live in frat houses, and I'm thinking that's pretty apt. Life's a party to these guys.
    Attitude is everything.

10 long-finned zebra danios, 11 neon tetras, 6 platys, 6 julli corys, cherry shrimp and 6 nerite snails.

Awards Showcase

Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl 
    Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by houdini56 View Post
    I had six corys arrive today and they are very active and curious, so far so good.

They are, however, in a community tank that includes 13 zebra danios (pigs dressed in fish clothing). I have shrimp pellets and a couple kind of sinking wafers, but wondering how this will work out.

Just to see what happens I dropped a couple shrimp pellets in when I fed the rest of the fish a while ago. As expected, when the danios finished their flake food they (along with the platys) went after the shrimp pellets, nibbling at them while pushing them around the tank.

The shrimp pellets seem to stay firm for quite a while so wondering - do most people soak them at all before putting them in the tank?

I haven't tried the wafers yet -- at least they are large enough that maybe some will be left over for the corys!

Anyway, my main concern is that the corys get a chance to eat something and I'm not sure how that's going to happen with the danios around.

I realize that being new to the tank I don't need to worry about the corys eating right away...just trying to anticipate how meal time is going to go in the future. Appreciate hearing from those of you with corys in a community tank. Thanks!
    Congrats on the new corys!...which ones did you get?

In my 40B, what I usually do is drop in sinking food first...dry, never pre-soaked...and then floating food...the initial interest in the sinking usually is subdued quickly by the floating food...especially flake food, that I crumble finely before throwing in, it seems to draw their attention away from the bottom while my cories and BNP get their fill of the sunken food.

I use sinking wafers, shrimp pellets, earthworm pellets, and algae wafers for sinkers...and a variety for floaters
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I've not had zebra danios, but my cory's do well with my guppies which will eat anything and everything. I also throw in the pellets and wafers dry, but I do break them up into smaller pieces. Cory's are great at finding leftover food that gets spread around by the feeding frenzy.

If you want to get them to join in on the feeding frenzy, grab some tubifex worms and stick it on the glass about 3 inches from the bottom. The cory's will muscle in among the others and show just how good they are at fighting for food.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Got julii corys, cute little guys from what I can see with the tank light off today.

These are good suggestions; will experiment and see what works best.

Tubiflex worms? Are those....fresh? I've been feeding frozen brine shrimp once a week and some dried bloodworms occasionally. Everybody loves the shrimp but mixed reaction to bloodworms. Well, not from the danios, of course...but platies and neons don't seem too impressed.
    Attitude is everything.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!

Can't imagine giant danios! I heard somebody say danios don't live in schools, they live in frat houses, and I'm thinking that's pretty apt. Life's a party to these guys.
    HA! Very well said! :D

-S

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I feed the floating food first on one side and the sinking next on the other side. Because I do this at every feeding, they know who goes where to eat. Try Hikari freeze dried bloodworms for the floating food for the danios. Mine love it. By the time they get to the sinking food, it's nearly all eaten by my tetras. Also try frozen bloodworms as a sinking food.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Tubiflex worms? Are those....fresh?
    The ones I get are freeze dried made by Omega One
    Steve
    50 Gallon -
    Endlers | Guppies | Blue Eyed Rice | Celestial Pearl Danios | Threadfin Rainbows | Peacock Gudgeon | Bronze Cory's
    Albino Cory's | Nerite Snails | Ghost Shrimp

Awards Showcase

Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl 
    Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    My freeze dried bloodworms are always soaked in tank water for a few hours before feeding...I've read that problems can arise when fed dry to certain fish

Bloodworms are a treat for my fish, every 2 weeks or so...as are my frozen brine shrimp, which need no soaking
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal