· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Question Python & water conditioner

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
    I have always added it to the bucket during the middle of filling it from the tub faucet if I am doing the bucket brigade and haven't had any issues. If I am doing a python fill I dose for the total water volume before turning on the hose.
    I started to hijack the thread that this was posted in, but in the end I decided to do the right thing and start a new thread. ;)

I changed the water in a 36g, a 46g and a 55g today and I'm totally beat. Finally broke down and ordered a Python, my back cannot stand any more of this "bucket brigade" nonsense. I already see FT's answer to this question, but was wondering if his opinion is the consensus.

My main concern with using a Python is the fact that you're running untreated water directly into the tank. Do most of you who use one treat for the entire volume of the tank or only for the volume that you're replacing.

Is it possible to get too much Prime in the tank over time if you condition your water this way (entire tank volume even when doing a PWC)?

-S

3 Not allowed!
    You'll get both answers on this issue. It seems to come up every 6 months or so.

Many dose for the entire volume of the tank. Others, like myself, just dose for the volume being added back in. My reasoning for that is that there is no reason to dose more than necessary and that just seems like a waste of prime.

Plenty of people dose the full tank volume and, as far as I know, it won't cause a problem.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Awards Showcase

Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    When using a Python, you treat for the entire tank. When using buckets, you treat the bucket amount only. I will usually have my syringe filled with the correct dose of Prime sitting next to the tank. As I begin filling, I dose the Prime directly into the stream coming from the Python, helps distribute it throughout the tank.

Prime dissipates over time, it will not "build up" in your tank.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I use a python and dose according to the volume of the aquarium as the instructions indicate.
    http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...ges/Prime.html

5. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Prime dissipates over time, it will not "build up" in your tank.
    Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    Many dose for the entire volume of the tank. Others, like myself, just dose for the volume being added back in. My reasoning for that is that there is no reason to dose more than necessary and that just seems like a waste of prime.
    Prime is cheap enough and goes a very long way. If it dissipates over time it looks to me like it's best to dose the entire tank.

Looks like either way is probably safe though. Thanks for the input. This forum is a great resource.

-S

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeboraBremner View Post
    I use a python and dose according to the volume of the aquarium as the instructions indicate.
    http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...ges/Prime.html
    Ah, I only ordered mine today, and have not seen the instructions yet. I guess I could have waited until I got it before asking what is apparently a very common question.

-S

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingrayg4 View Post
    Ah, I only ordered mine today, and have not seen the instructions yet. I guess I could have waited until I got it before asking what is apparently a very common question.

-S
    Alot of the questions are common...and you'll see lots of different "right" answers! You'll figure what works for you.

Awards Showcase

Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

2 Not allowed!
    You are going to love the Python, makes water changes SO much easier
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    You are going to love the Python, makes water changes SO much easier
    This is exactly what I wanted to hear. If it works as well as all that I should have ordered a second one to use on the tanks at the school.

-S

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

1 Not allowed!
    just make sure you double check the connectors after you get it to make sure it is secure. Mine where slightly loose when I got it so when it came to the fill stage I ended up with a lot of water on the floor also. Luckily I have water proof floors, so only needed a couple towels to clean it up. But it has been fine since then.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!