· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Sick Goldfish - Emergency!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone - my goldfish tank got infected with Ich. I've been doing 25% water changes and treating with Kordon's Rid-Ich Plus. I raised the temp of the tank from 72 to 78 and it seems that's the highest my heater can get this tank. I have 2 Fluval 50 hob filters and a long flexible bubble wand to help oxygenate. I also added 2 tablespoons of sea salt to the 40 gallon tank they're in as I was told it would help with their slime coat and be beneficial. Two of them have some Ich spots on their fins, but other than flashing once in a while, they're going along as usual. The third one, however, is really suffering. He's my big, beefy male too, so I thought he would take the treatment the best, but I'm apparently wrong. He's mostly orange but two-thirds of the ends of all his fins are white. Those white parts of his fins are streaked with angry red splotches and it looks like it's fill of inflamed blood vessels. He mostly sits on the bottom and looks like he's having difficulty breathing. He barely opens his mouth to take in water, but looks like he's "gasping" for breath. I just checked him and the ends of his fins are "decaying" and are really dark reddish where they were white before. He also has a large nasty red spot on his belly where he's been resting on the bottom - the tank is bare, no gravel or anything other than a few random smooth stones scattered around.

I'm really panicking now. I've had Ich with my tropicals and I treat them and that's it. This goldfish has me so worried. I feel terrible that he seems to me to be suffering. He is eating, however. Should I stop the Rid-Ich and try treating with salt only? Was it a mistake to put the salt in along with the Rid-Ich? I'm going to do a massive water change right now - probably at least 80% or more hoping that might help him.

What should I do about that red patch? Should I give him a salt bath? Swab with hydrogen peroxide? I don't know what to do and don't want to make things worse by doing the wrong thing. I've searched the net, but find conflicting advice.

If anyone can help, I would so appreciate it!!

Lisa

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass 
    To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 
    BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 
    6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    How long has this tank been set up? What are your water Parameters?

I don't keep or know much about goldfish, but I do think you need to stop adding the salt. If your water params are out of whack, it could be causing stress, which in turn can encourage the ich outbreak.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    Seems you are dealing with septicemia and fin rot. http://www.petco.com/Content/Article...-Tail-Rot.aspx
    Last edited by mommy1; 02-26-2014 at 03:06 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You should check your water conditions before treating. The best prevention is to maintain accurate water conditions. Sometimes the salt level will be too high. This can cause the effects of fin-rot. Please try to keep your water as clean as possible, Do 75 % water changes daily..

Please don't add salt, just keep the water warmer and keep it warm for at least 2 more weeks even after the ich is gone.

Do not overfeed and remove any uneaten food.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with the above, although I have had issues with Kordons before, had it kill a pair of swordtails when I had a small outbreak. Switched to Quick Cure and had no issues

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, ich is definitely not your only problem there. Up the water changes to 75% and stop the salt. His fins need pristine water to heal.

Also, what is the size of the tank and the parameters? My count is three goldfish...anything less than 40g or so is too small.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There was absolutely nothing wrong with his fins until I started treating for the Ich - I noticed they had some spots on Sunday, so it has only been 3 days of treatment with the Rid-Ich so far.

The tank is a 40 gallon breeder, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates between 20-40 before I did a 50% water change. I have two Fluval 50 hob filters on the tank. One of them was from my old tank so I had a biological filter set up from the start. I've had one of the fish 3 years and the other 2 two years and none of them has had any problems up until now. He does still eat with gusto - just fed him as a matter of fact and he gobbled his food like he never saw it before. That's a good sign, right?

I'm not sure I'm understanding - just to clarify: do large water changes, keep the heat up and that's it? No salt for the Ich and no more of the Rid-Ich either? Won't the tomonts hatch out new critters without salt or Rid-Ich to kill them?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think there are two ways to go about it:

Up the heat to about 82 and use salt OR

Dose with ich cure chemicals.

Heat plus medication tends to remove all the oxygen from the water, so be careful what you choose.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    I successfully treated ick in my old tropical tank by raising the heat to 86 degrees. No salt, no meds. That both speeds up the life cycle of the ick and it cannot reproduce when the temp is above 85.
    I don't know how high of a temp goldfish can tolerate though so heat + salt may be the answer if they can't have the heat that high.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I did a 90% water change last night and didn't add any salt or any Rid-Ich. This morning he's looking so much better. He still has the pinkish/orange flush to his tail, but it's lighter than before and the nasty dark red blotch on his belly is half the size this morning and no where near as dark, When I was checking on them yesterday, I noticed that on my veiltail, the center line of of her belly or chest between her pectoral and ventral fins had a darkish red flush to it. This morning after that water change, it's completely gone. All three of them ate like hogs this morning as well (is there a goldfish that doesn't eat like a hog?!)

The veiltail is still covered in spots all over her fins, tho. I was going to do another 90% water change today making sure I get the bottom of the bare tank spotless so any tomonts hanging out waiting to hatch are removed. I'm wary of both the salt and chemicals now, however. But I don't think the heater I have is capable of raising the tank temp that high. The highest it seems to be able to get the tank is 78-80.

My tropical tank is only a few days away from ending treatment. I had one zebra danio that was covered and it looks like it's clean of spots. I don't see spots on any of the other fish either. I'm going to continue doing the water changes and using the Rid-Ich on that tank for a few more days. Maybe I'll do 90% water changes on the goldfish for a few more days and see how it goes. I suppose eventually if I keep siphoning out any new critters, I'll get them all out of the goldfish tank eventually.

I feel better that he looks so much better. I'll keep an eye on them and if things go downhill again, rest assured, I'll be back in a panic again!!

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice. I think I need to save up and invest in a larger water heater just in case!

Lisa