· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default feeding my cherry shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    So about a month ago I bought 4 cherry shrimp from LFS. It took them a couple weeks for them to come out and get used to my community tank. However when I try to feed them an algae wafer or something to that effect my other fish swarm it, even when I try to tuck it back in the base of the thick rotala indica where they like to hide. Their tank mates are guppies, neon tetra's, platies, rummy nose, zebra danio's, and cloud danio's. Is there some way I can spot feed my cherry shrimp? There is enough for them to eat in the tank but I was wanting to give them more of a variety like I do with the fish. I switch the fish food up between cobalt tropical flake 5 days of the week and a twice a week feeding of baby brine shrimp, and daphnia. The brine shrimp is for the fry in the tank as well as the bigger fish.

1 Not allowed!
    Break up the algae wafer into 4+ small pieces and spread around the tank

0 Not allowed!
    They are not competitive feeders, and the fish you are keeping them with are. It is unlikely you'd be able to outwit the fish. Luckily, the shrimp do not require much food and in an established tank, should be able to completely sustain themselves on algae and biofilm considering you have 4. I doubt the population will ever grow considering the rest of your stock.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what 4 are you talking about having?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a busy community tank including cherries and they are definitely the least competitive, because they actually get most of their food from the tank/leftovers/etc so they are not particularly hungry. However, once a month I stick in a blanched slice of courgette and they are all over it. They get very brave and will face off amanos and tetras to get their share.

The population of cherries goes grow in my community, but growth is slow and you need to make sure there are plenty of hiding places if you want babies. I started out with fire reds, but natural selection over 2 years has taken it's toll and many of mine are now wild coloured. But I still love them and the repopulate quickly after natural disasters!
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 8x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 4x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

10g planted: Bael the betta, 2x Indian glassfish & Pops the purple Apple snail

0 Not allowed!
    An algae pellet eventually softens and disintegrates, and tiny flecks of it float freely in the current, and gradually sink to the substrate. I wouldn't worry about your shrimp not getting any. The fish will eat their fill and what's leftover the shrimp will get.

The shrimp in my tank are always scavanging, and there's always something they can latch onto and feed on. They aren't finicky. I often see them picking stuff off the floating hornwort and other plant leaves -- stuff too tiny for me to see.

In an established tank where the fish are regularly fed, the shrimp will always find something. You don't need to spot feed them.
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sounds good thanks everyone! I'll try the Zucchini. Will all the fish also eat on it?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bubbler View Post
    sounds good thanks everyone! I'll try the Zucchini. Will all the fish also eat on it?
    Probably! It's good for them :)
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 8x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 4x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

10g planted: Bael the betta, 2x Indian glassfish & Pops the purple Apple snail