· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default New to Aquariums

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

I have recently decided to buy an aquarium and try to do a reef tank eventually.

My Husband and I have been going through a rough patch with the family life and went to a pet store. There I saw my fist reef tank, it was so mesmerizing and calm but fascinating. My husband had a FOWLR tank years and years ago and had always said he would like another some day. So here we were at the pet store and I was falling in love with all the eye candy and he mentions it again. I said yes please get another, he looks at me and says "really?" and I said lets do it. I thought this would be a good outlet for excess energies and something to do together. And I still feel that way but I must say I am in over my head.

I feel like this could be very rewarding but from what I have read it may be overwhelming.

We have not received our tank yet for they could not drill the plumbing into the tank we picked (Tempered glass on the bottom), so they have had to make our tank from scratch. This has left me with a lot of time to research. The start up cost is enormous, well more than we were initially quoted. We have had issues with what lighting to choose, which powerheads, which protein skimmer and now Im worried about the cycling process. What about dosing? hmmmm.......

We have got

135 gallon tank (6ft' x 18" x 24")
    Ecotech Gen 3 pro lighting x 3
    ATI Power cone I-series protein skimmer
    Ecotech MP40 powerheads
    36 Watt UV filter
    Sump RL 300
    Titanium heater (cannot remember the brand or type)
    Reef Link
    Neptune apex Base Unit
    Sustrate
    Sality salt water mix
    Refractometer
    G probe
    150 lbs of uncured live rock
    Plumbing
    and then all the small things like
    Pales
    hose
    sand siphoner
    algae scrapers
    Tap water conditioner
    Test kits
    um....... I'm sure im missing some things

But I was hoping maybe some kind individual would read this and tell me if I got the basics and that I'm set up for success beginning with the equipment.

Im very excited but terrified.

As my name states I think I'm in over my head.

Thank you

And I wish all of you the best of luck in having beautiful healthy aquariums.

0 Not allowed!
    Hello , welcome aboard. I hope you will enjoy the forum.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum, do yourself a favor and read the "stickies" in the saltwater section, some great info there.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Found the stickies, thank you

I have been on the internet for the past week researching, watching youtube, been to 3 separate fish stores trying to collect and find all the information I can, spent about 16 hrs in them all together in the past few days asking anything and everything I could think of about the products and systems, the nitrogen cycle and so on, but I thought coming on this forum would be good for specific questions I may encounter now and asking for help later on when I start to get everything going. One problem I am finding is that there is no "right" way to do it, there are many varied opinions. I encountered this first when trying to pick out lighting. Then you have to wonder if what your reading has been sponsored by the manufactures or companies promoting their products. Im am ambitious and determined, my husband more so, which leaves me to believe we will be successful in the end.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good news, I have already read all of those stickies, must be going in the right direction

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    welcome to the forums, you won't find much for corporate shills hear pushing a specific product but there is a lot of seasoned people in both fresh and salt water alike that can give solid advice.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello and welcome to the forum!

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Image - Welcome wave.gif to the AC, the place to be for fishkeeping!

Many friendly and very knowledgeable members here. Be not afraid, many of us have felt overwhelmed at one point or another. If someone on this forum recommends a specific item or brand, it is because they or someone they know has had personal experience (good or bad) using that item.

Welcome and good luck!
    Last edited by gronlaura; 02-25-2014 at 09:28 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, maybe a Mystery Snail

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so I will be curing live rock in my brand new aquarium on Friday it looks like. I have read a lot about the cycling process but no one says if you should have the lights on in your Tank for this. I understand if you are curing live rock to put in an aquarium already established you have the rock in a container with no light, is this true when doing it a new aquarium?

Thanks so much

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Now that you are going to be starting your aquarium up, you may want to start a journal thread to post your questions, and pics of your progress, rather than maintaining this "intro" thread.

But, to answer your question, it doesn't really matter if the lights on or not, generally folks keep the lights off to prevent unwanted algae growth - while the tank is cycling, there are lots of excess nutrients, and algae can sometimes get a start on your tank before you do, lol...and you have a fight on your hands before you even start.
    So, personally, I would have the lights off.
    Have you tested your plumbing yet? You'll want to test your plumbing before you start putting anything in your tank, to make sure everything runs without overflowing or leaking. It will be easier to fix if required while empty.

You've got a great start-up list there, more than most folks start off with unless they buy a currently running tank from someone getting out of the hobby. You are one of the few people we haven't had to say "Buy the biggest tank you can" or "buy better equipment to start, you'll only end up replacing it later and spending twice as much" to, lol.

But it will be worth it in the end, once you get a year under your belt, the maintenance will be a breeze!
    Last edited by sheamurai; 02-25-2014 at 11:26 PM.