· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Fuzzy face, spotted stripe, and the frayed fin crew....

0 Not allowed!
    So, I just got our 12 neon tetras to add to our tank last Friday. When I put them in I noticed a few had some nipped fins, but they were kept with angels at the LFS so I just attributed this issue to them possibly getting nipped there. On Saturday, I noticed fuzzy face. He is one of the neons that has a big white spot on his lower jaw. It doesn't look fuzzy to the husband, but it does look fuzzy to me. Of course, I have horrid vision so a lot of things look fuzzy to me that aren't. The same night I noticed spotted stripe. He is another of the neons with white spots all over his red stripe. They are not small like with ick and they don't look external. So, I immediately freaked and though neon tetra disease. I wanted to pull him and euthanize (we don't have a QT tank) but the hubby said to calm down. He doesn't think that is the problem. We should just watch him for a day or two before jumping to that extreme of a conclusion. We did about 30-40% water changes for the next 2 days. Fuzzy face and spotted stripe don't have any issues with their fins. They look fine. They both eat and act normal.

Well, last night I noticed some white spots showing up on a few of the other tetras and their fins are looking more and more frayed. I don't think it is ick. They spots are too big. I am certain they have something but I don't know what. I finally got the hubby to agree to let me treat them with pimafix and melafix for the next 7 days to see if this helps. I am really hoping it is just a simple fungus that will go away with the treatment and all will be well. I can't wait until we are done stocking and I don't have to worry about this as frequently.

Ugh. So frustrating. I have heard good things about treating with melafix, so everyone cross your fingers for my fishies.

Oh...and my cat won't stop trying to attack the side of the tank and thus freaking them out. We have gotten onto him every time and do our best to keep him away from the tank, but once he decides to fixate on something it is nearly impossible to get him to stop. I told him he had better not kill my fish with stress or his treats are GONE! lol!
    40 gallon FW -1 male halfmoon betta named Max, 2 GBR's (Peter and Lois) who better clean up their act, 11neon tetras (damn GBR's killed one), 12 black neon tetras, 2 assassin snails, and 1 albino BN pleco named Tiberius.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i am treating my tank with those meds as well. I hate using them, they smell like noxzema. I hope it works for you and your fish feel better!

0 Not allowed!
    Assuming you are dealing with a type of fungus or bacteria, you can also try treating it with Paraguard. I have always had a lot better success with Paraguard as compared tot he meds you have mentioned.

If you do switch meds, just make sure you remove all of the current medications from the water before starting to treat with another one
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So one of my neons has a new problem. It looks almost like his gills on one side are bent away from his body and you can see his gills much more than the others. Thoughts? He doesn't have any other issues.
    40 gallon FW -1 male halfmoon betta named Max, 2 GBR's (Peter and Lois) who better clean up their act, 11neon tetras (damn GBR's killed one), 12 black neon tetras, 2 assassin snails, and 1 albino BN pleco named Tiberius.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone have any ideas why he would have a bent gill cover? It looks like another one is slightly bent too.