· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default waving the white flag...

0 Not allowed!
    20140224_190935.jpgso this evening after work and burning dinner for the fam, feeding the dogs I find some quiet time to sit in front of my aquarium and watch my fish. While I'm watching, happily, enjoying how healthy my corys are looking i see a neon hanging out in a cave, he swims out and i see one of his sides is pretty white. I can't tell if it's fuzzy or not.

everyones been fine, eating.. I did a 50% wc first thing sunday morning. scrubbed off the driftwood, gave the substrate a good vac. I've been trying not to over feed. I want to cry.

20140224_190943.jpg
    Last edited by Simplicity; 02-25-2014 at 04:13 AM.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny 
    Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Don't be to dicouraged, neons are so mass produced these days, that we see alot of "weak stock", so don't necasarily think it's something in your tank, it could be something it had and the stress of changing tanks caused it to flair up.
    Last edited by steeler58; 02-25-2014 at 04:17 AM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    its been in my tank for 2 months. does it look like neon tetra disease? what should i do? i see another neon with a fuzzy line down his stripe :(

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    do you have a small QT tank you could get them into. Has it always been the neons getting this? or has it jump from species to species.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny 
    Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't realise it had been in your tnk for 2 months, sorry. It looks more like a fungus but here's a good link about neon tetra disease: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...61725948,d.cGU
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

3 Not allowed!
    white fuzz in a tank with a prior history of columnaris? you know what i think is the culprit.
    right now I suggest you maybe try the novel approach of not changing your water so often, in order to potentially reduce fish stress as well as to retain antibiotics longer, and also
    maybe switch whatever antibiotic you are using? whatever you have seems to be immune to it.

Once more, sorry for your loss. it is undeniable what an unbelievable string of bad luck you have faced, and your resilience in the face of this constant adversity is impressive.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well, i thought it was a fungus, lost a panda to it. then another panda got the exact same white spot on the same fin and died the night i found it and started treatment. this is the first time ive seen anything on a neon. someone said if i did have columnaris i would have lost more than 2 fish?

I did decide that perhaps my effort to keep my tank clean to prevent fungus i have been possibly stressing fish making them likely to get itt and last week was the first time i let a full week go before a wc. i dont get it. should i take out the 2 neons?

i'm so afraid to put more meds into my tank. my poor fish have been so medicated with the fungus guard then the macalyn 2 (sp?) for columnaris.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    none of my fish have frayed or ragged fins. is that always present in columnaris? I'm sitting here googling my heart out trying to figure out what's the best thing to put in my tank. I have maracyn two and a few other meds here since they're hard to find i try to keep some on hand. I have some very tiny fish. i've been trying to read if it's okay to medicate them and having no luck. they've been through so much

i'm starting to feel like that girl.. oh there she goes crying about her tank again. I'm sorry guys.
    Last edited by Simplicity; 02-25-2014 at 06:01 AM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My experience with columnaris seems to have been out of the norm, so I will share it and maybe give you hope. :)

I have one neon with a "saddle" and no other marks. He was in the tank for, oh, a few days after I noticed it. I QTed him for a month...his patch got bigger for a week, then faded to a scar, then healed over. Never spread to my other neons, and he was back swimming with them after about a month. It is possible to survive!! I used API gram negative bacteria killer.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know if it's columnaris or not. There are no frayed or ragged fins, nothing around the mouth and he's so feisty i tried for over an hour to catch him last night so i could separate him from the herd but he was not having it. youd think being covered in something would slow you down a little bit. :(

last night before bed after realizing i wasn't going to catch him and i noticed the other fish were enjoying the game of stay away from the net... i took out my carbon (man ive hardley had any carbon in my poor filters lol) and added primafix and melafix. my hubby says it looks like he rubbed on something but i disagree. he's still eating well so maybe whatever it is will go away. I can buy more meds but my poor fish have been through the ringer and they were looking so well I'm worried about making them immune to antibiotics if something more severe comes along.

I have only been home from work long enough to watch my tank for a few minutes and check the forums (which i do first everyday before burning dinner, catastrophe or not lol) so I will spend time after dinner checking on him and seeing if he eats and how the other fish are doing. I like to watch them for at least an hour to see if anyones doing anything strange. yesterday i woke up just after 4 to sit and watch them for awhile before i went to work. please tell me somebody else does that... lol

my readings are all zero and my temp is 75. I have been feeding my fish the spectrum thera A for about 2 months now. I also do a wafer tab when i turn out the lights and once or twice a week i give them bloodworms. i drop in some shrimp pellets or api bottom feeder pellets that have garlic and other good things even though my pandas love the spectrum food. am i over feeding? could that be making me have a fungus problem?