· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Mystery Algae

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

Default Mystery Algae

0 Not allowed!
    So I have a small ten gallon tank I use to house a Betta. Now i wanted to get floating plants for the tank and got some floating water moss from outside. I made the critical error of not giving the stuff a bleach bath before
    putting it in the tank. I have noticed that a black (or green that is so dark it might as well be black) film covering the bottom of the tank. I had some trouble with cyanobacteria in the past but I doubt this is the same stuff.
    Unlike the bacteria this stuff grows fast. Covers everything within a week. It cleans up well with the gravel vac but I just can't get it all and then I'm right back to square one with the next water change.
    It probably came in on the moss but maybe not. I've tried running the lights longer, shorter, adding additional plants to soak up nutrients. Nothing works. I'll probably just break it down and start over if I can't get a handle on it.
    Does anyone know what this stuff is? I will try to post a picture or two when I can get the camera working.

1 Not allowed!
    I would not rule out cayanobacteria so fast. There is a lot of variation the the way it grows and looks. It will not always look the same as the last time you had it.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm ok. I still need to get pictures up. Hopefully this evening I'll have them. Since the tank has only two decorations and no plants other than the floating ones, would one recommend just gutting it and cleaning everything? If I do I'd replace the gravel as well (something I was inclined to do anyway for other reasons). This stuff is crazy fast growing and I don't know how else to curb it.

Side note: Sorry about the way that first post came out. I have a habit of spacing lines and what looks good when typing comes out horribly when posted.

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    BGA can come in a huge variety of forms, including all the cool colors possible. I know because I've had them. All of them. If it came in pink sparkles, I'd probably get that too.

The fact that it grows so fast, covers the bottom, and cleans up easily are all red flags for me. Sounds like your BGA has become sneaky and changed on you. I would not recommend using meds to control it at this point. Do you have a UV sterilizer? That will help if you run it right after a big water change. Do you like Siamese algae eaters and nerite snails? Those will eat it too.

IME, bga is just there. Nothing you do causes it, nothing you do clears it up. The best thing you do is just up the water changes, run the sterilizer, and keep everything very clean. If you start over there is a high chance you'll just get it again.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

0 Not allowed!
    I used to get Cyanobacteria and nothing I tried would get rid of it (it always came back). The one thing that worked for me (and it seems this topic comes up once a year or so) was UltraLife Blue-Green Algae Remover. Dosed once and it was dead within two days. didn't have to dose a second time and it never came back. It also didn't negatively effect my beneficial bacteria.

I highly recommend using it. Beth, if you still get it... use it. Rid yourself of this accursed bacteria that barely anything eats. ;P
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome. I'll give that a try. If it looked nice it would make a great carpeting plant. What with how fast it grows and all. lol I kid I kid.

0 Not allowed!
    I once had a outbreak so bad, I need to treat the tank with one dose of Erythromycin. Work great, no damage to the beneficial bacteria either

Just one more option to consider if all other methods do not work for you.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Awesome. I'll give that a try. If it looked nice it would make a great carpeting plant. What with how fast it grows and all. lol I kid I kid.
    Doesn't look bad on rocks. lol
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.