· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: film on water

Awards Showcase

Tank looks great, congrats! - Slaphppy7 Here's to a safe delivery!! - steeler58 Congrats!! - Taurus For getting your fish safe and sound! - gronlaura Congrats on the new fish!  well done! - Slaphppy7 
    It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 Have a nice Memorial weekend! - steeler58 Have a nice Memorial weekend! - steeler58 For hyjacking your thread, but that Matt........ - steeler58 
    Here's to Marbles Hatchets & RCS! Congrats! - Slaphppy7 To another safe delivery. - steeler58 new fish - cm12setx For the new fish!!  Bottoms up! - gronlaura T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you! - steeler58 Have a beer to make your day better :) - steeler58 Have a beer to make your day better :) - steeler58 For the kind words in Matts journal ;) - steeler58 TGIF - RiversGirl 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

Default film on water

0 Not allowed!
    I've noticed recently that my tank water has a thin film. It doesn't completely cover the surface, but I don't like it. My tank is not completely covered and I think its close proximity to our kitchen probably warrants covering the top as much as possible. I worry that it may be from cooking...anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas what to use to "strain" the film off? My netting isn't small enough to pick it up. Tried "dragging" a clean paper towel across the surface. It broke it up a little but didn't really take much off.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I hope you get an answer soon because one of my tanks are like that too, I wish I knew what causes it.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe use a glass..... just like you would use a spoon to skim fat off of gravy... scoop and toss... Not sure what it is but a cover is always a good idea for a tank.

Awards Showcase

Tank looks great, congrats! - Slaphppy7 Here's to a safe delivery!! - steeler58 Congrats!! - Taurus For getting your fish safe and sound! - gronlaura Congrats on the new fish!  well done! - Slaphppy7 
    It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 Have a nice Memorial weekend! - steeler58 Have a nice Memorial weekend! - steeler58 For hyjacking your thread, but that Matt........ - steeler58 
    Here's to Marbles Hatchets & RCS! Congrats! - Slaphppy7 To another safe delivery. - steeler58 new fish - cm12setx For the new fish!!  Bottoms up! - gronlaura T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you! - steeler58 Have a beer to make your day better :) - steeler58 Have a beer to make your day better :) - steeler58 For the kind words in Matts journal ;) - steeler58 TGIF - RiversGirl 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeboraBremner View Post
    Maybe use a glass..... just like you would use a spoon to skim fat off of gravy... scoop and toss... Not sure what it is but a cover is always a good idea for a tank.

thats a good idea. It seems to have broken up a bit, after skimming the surface lightly with the paper towel. I finished adding the plastic strip to the piece of glass (the glass cover) at the back side of the tank. So the only opening now is right where the HOB is.

1 Not allowed!
    it is likely a bacterial biofilm growing on the surface made possible by lack of surface agitation.
    either that or someone stuck their hand in the tank after eating a pizza but before washing.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    That darn hubby of mine, I've told him about that!!! I'll drop in an airstone and see if that makes a difference. Thanks!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it's near the kitchen and you cook a lot with oil (especially frying) I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's what it is. However, it could just as easily be a bacterial film like madagascariensis said or just proteins in the water.

I have a lightly stocked freshwater tank so I don't experience this much, but when I do I just grab an old peanut butter jar I keep just for this purpose, push it straight down into the water so that the top is about half a centimetre below the surface of the water and move it around the tank. This is basically the same as what Debora suggested but I find that more film gets scraped off (as it flows into the container instead of being pushed around by the glass) and you have to throw away less water.

If this is a constant problem for you you might consider getting a surface skimmer or protein skimmer if your filter allows for these. I don't know what type of aquarium or what fish you have, so it might not even be necessary, but they will definitely solve the problem.
    Joseph Granata
    My decommissioned 37gal freshwater community tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=116054
    My current 37gal FOWLR tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...42#post1214342

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had that exact problem. It was a protein film. We adjusted our outflow bar on the surface to allow the surface to break up a little bit better. It worked like a charm and now the film is completely gone. I don't think a bubble stone will do it because it is the surface that needs better flow.
    40 gallon FW -1 male halfmoon betta named Max, 2 GBR's (Peter and Lois) who better clean up their act, 11neon tetras (damn GBR's killed one), 12 black neon tetras, 2 assassin snails, and 1 albino BN pleco named Tiberius.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's important to note, though, that if you have sensitive fish, the problem is more than cosmetic. By creating more surface agitation, you are simply redid solving the proteins back into the water - something which delicate fish may not be able to tolerate. However, as I mentioned above, it could be fine if it isn't very thick and/or your fish are pretty hardy.

Another thing I should mention is that the film will impede oxygen exchange with the air which might cause your fish to suffocate (it's probably not as bad as that, but it's clearly better type your fish to have your water saturated with oxygen than to have a lower oxygen concentration than your fish are used to/need. I guess that was just a really roundabout way of saying that however it is you solve the problem, be sure to do it because your fish will be healthier as a result.
    Joseph Granata
    My decommissioned 37gal freshwater community tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=116054
    My current 37gal FOWLR tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...42#post1214342

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the typos; I'm on my phone and it isn't working very well anymore so it sometimes doesn't respond properly to touch.
    Joseph Granata