· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

Default thinking of an octopus tank.

0 Not allowed!
    well my moms boyfriend wanted to think about an octopus tank for a change on things. im trying to sway him away from the idea because i will be the one taking care of it lol but im doing my research as i wouldnt hate an octopus either. basically he wants it to be a minimal set up tank, but im unsure of what will actually live comfortably in a 55g, it any. he said that a 75g or a 90 wouldnt be out of the question if need be. but before we plan the set up i need to know what octopus ill be looking at and go from there.

so the question stands, what common octopus would comfortably live in a 55g tank?
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    I really don't know a lot about them, only having read a few things that I remembered. I think I read about people keeping a red octopus (Octopus bocki) if I remember correctly. Try googling that and if that might be a option

The below articles might help as well

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/7/inverts
    http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...an-octopus.htm
    Last edited by Cliff; 02-23-2014 at 10:15 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If this does happen, I would love to see a journal for it. The thought of an octopus tank is very fascinating. :D
    • 20 gallon: Posh shrimp tank:2 panda taiwan bee shrimp, 14 F1 hybrid bee shrimps and MTS
    • 15 gallon: 1 Pair German Blue Ram, 9 Harlequin Rasbora, 1 Threadfin Rainbowfish, a lot of cherry shrimp and MTS

Awards Showcase

BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 
    6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady 
    Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 
    Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Just be careful if you go with one of these: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/inter...-octopus/2177/
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    Id love to go with one of those tbh that would be choice but theres several reasons i cant get those lol
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    The main thing about keeping an octopus that turns me off is their short lifespan.

If ever there was a drawback to keeping cephalopods; it is this: the majority have a natural lifespan of somewhere between six months and two years. Some deep sea or coldwater species like*Bathypolypus arcticus*have been known to live for six years. It is your decision whether or not it all seems worth it.
    http://www.tonmo.com/community/pages...g-cephalopods/

-S

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

2 Not allowed!
    with much reading and researching on the wonderful octopus, i think its out of my league. neither of us have any experience with SW tanks so i think this will be a pet idea for maybe 10yrs from now ROFL. they require so much work to keep the tank clean for them as they are messy eaters and shed their skins and testicles often. this with the combined cost of the octopus its self, might be a deal breaker. might be working on a cool crab tank though
    gotta love them bunnies!

2 Not allowed!
    There are a lot of really cool marine critters you can look into

If you want to stick with inverts, how about a peacock mantis shrimp ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    shed their skins and testicles
    They do what now?!?!?

-S

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    "But first, I need to finish this section and include a little about the unusual filtration needs of n octopus. Octopuses are almost continually shedding the skin on their suckers and arms, and so there tends to be a lot of large bits floating around that need to be removed from the tank before they begin to rot."

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/7/inverts

i think i read that a little wrong but the part about shedding skin was correct.

@ cliff - ye the mantis shrimp would be the first SW thing we will be looking at maybe setting up in his 29g no
    gotta love them bunnies!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast