· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Mild pleco addiction

0 Not allowed!
    I absolutely love plecos and currently have a bristlenose and a spotted rubberlip. I am even thinking about adding a few more to my collection. Of course one would be a regular rubberlip. Do most of you mix species or stick to one?

I have never bred fish so thats why I am only keeping one of each species.

They will be moved into a 40 gallon community as soon as we move so I am curious if that would open my options for other common plecos? I chose these species because currently I am only running 20 gallons.

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't keep rubberlips in a community tank, I'd build a riverine tank for them and make them feel more at thome.

For a community tank panaqolus and peckoltia are your best bets and sorry, no idea of common names/

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    @Elli -

You do need to be careful with your plans. Some plecos (including rubberlips) will be very aggressive with their own kind because they want their own breeding territory. A single mated pair would work, but if you don't have a mated pair you may have problems.

Also keep in mind how much bottom space you have in the tank to allow for territories.

@talldutchie

Why wouldn't you keep a rubberlip in a community tank?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have only one rubberlip ... Would a spotted rubberlip challenge a regular? I love my spotted and I would not want to put him in danger :)

I do need to find another place for my rubberlip as it needs cooler temps than my tank allows but the only tank I have that would be appropriate is the one being set up for my african clawed frogs and I do not trust them with my rubberlip.

I did not know there were two species commonly sold, Somehow I missed this in my research and now its kicking me in the bottom.

0 Not allowed!
    Spotted vs regular would probably fight - fish are "color blind" - they don't see differences in different varieties of the same species

Ie. Albino vs regular are the same also

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne View Post
    @talldutchie

Why wouldn't you keep a rubberlip in a community tank?
    Because Chaetostoma , wchi i think we're talking about, comes from mountain streams. Fast flows, rocks, relatively low temps high oxygen. The average community tank is very warm and very low oxygen for them. Just my 2 eurocents of course because I believe in keeping a fish in close to nature circumstances. Anyway, have a read:
    http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/co...article_id=132
    http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/chaetostoma-sp/

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't classify that criteria as non-community, just that you need to be aware that the rubbernose is a cooler water fish.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have read those posts on them :) I just need to move him into a cooler water tank :) Like I said I did not even know there were two species it was only after I got him home that I discovered he was a spotted.

However would a regular rubberlip and a spotted fight? I will not get a regular if they would.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I would say its highly likely they would be inclined to be territorial towards each other. They are both of the Chaetostoma genus.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I need to move my Rubberlip anyway, Maybe when I do I will get a normal rubberlip for the tank he was in