· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jenn's 50G "Joint Custody" Planted Gold Tank

0 Not allowed!
    This tank is a joint custody setup which my SO and I are sharing. The SO is also a long term fish keeper however...has an affinity for tanks which are not so "au naturale". Many shipwrecks and skulls were featured in the SOs aquariums which were all given up during our house searching. Thus the tank reigns were given up almost entirely to me...which I do appreciate as with our downsizing left much less square footage for the 20 or so aquariums we had combined. I have featured some species in my tanks which the SO enjoys...however there has not been any decor for the SO until now.

We have settled on goldfish as the SO has always kept a goldfish tank and well I admittedly do miss my large fancy gold pond which was at the old house. Thus we have settled on a 50G Top Fin which I got on sale some months ago for $110. It is the same footprint as a 55G however is only 19" tall...this simple element actually has made the tank easier to scape into a pleasing setup. I honestly wouldn't mind working with another one of these tanks in the future even though I vowed off of long skinny tanks. Here are some specs for the nerds:

Tank: Top Fin 50G (48x12.5x19)
    Lighting: Coralife 130watt PC
    Heating: None...house is pretty much a constant 72*F
    Filtration: Fluval 405, I feel the need to add a HOB to this tank however this would need to be a very "slim" one due to the tank's location and it being close to the wall
    Substrate: Black Diamond 20/40 Blasting Grit....if you've never used it I highly recommend it
    Hardscape: 2 large pieces of driftwood, 20 pounds of river stone, few random rocks and pieces of slate from my stockpile
    Plants: all just leftovers or trimmings....Hygro sp. tiger, NL java fern, Anubias barteri, Jungle val

The Un-Natural: We have placed an order for a 18" Blue LED bubble wand...this will be on a separate timer to come on after the main lights go off. So at night we will have the blue LEDs for moonlights and "bubbles" also to appease the SO. We are also looking for a 6-8" buddha statue to place amongst our rock work also to appease the SO's desire for an ornament. We went for a more "asian" inspired look to compliment the goldfish. We are also probably going to put pressurized CO2 on this tank in the coming months as over the past few months the SO has been corrupted and now seems to enjoy the explosive growth of a high tech planted.

We plan to stock 4 fantail goldfish, 2 BN Plecos, and a group of zebra danios. Thanks to some seeded media and load of plants I went ahead and stocked 2 BN plecos and 2 very small calico fantails. I will also be adding 2 more golds next week of a similar size. I am hopeful that getting the golds so small will help ensure they dont become confused and think they are a herd of cattle in the tank.

Pics to come later tonight
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    always new projects with you! Can't wait to see pics.

I have a 72gal bowfront that i don't know what to do with atm. Am considering goldfish as they seem to be very popular and easy to keep. I imagine there has to be a reason for their popularity...I've never been fond of them as everyone seems to have them and I don't like bubble eyed type fish, but perhaps I should give them a try and see for myself...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looking forward to some pics of the "joint custody" tank!! I enjoyed goldfish for many years, but ended up with only 2 in a 90 gal and still had to change water twice a week...wonderful friendly fish...but man can they poop!

Awards Showcase

got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 
    So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly 
    Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie 
    For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeboraBremner View Post
    ...but man can they poop!
    The plecos aren't exactly mini-poopers themselves either, lol...this will be a neat tank to watch progress
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Plants will combat the excess waste of both along with very heavy bio-filtration. I have 2 trays of biomax and 2 trays of Ehfilav in the 405.

I am contemplating a HOB as previously said but there is not much room behind the tank at all...I am thus considering this filter:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/261357505704...84.m1423.l2649

I only need some fine mechanical filtration and would like some chemical filtration to combat some tannins. No idea on the quality of this item...however it looks like a larger knock off of the Marina brand slim filter.

That was kind of the position I took on deciding what to stock the tank with. We have several cichlid tank projects in the works...have about all the small shoalers we want...so goldfish were an obvious choice. They are pretty interactive, larger peaceful fish which you can do with plants. Hope things work out Im pretty excited about this one.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Have had some serious clarity issues with the tank...thus the lack of photos. I wound up digging two small HOBs out of storage and outfitting them with carbon, chemi pure, and a poly filter. Clarity has greatly improved....do expect photos later tonight. I think I will be keeping the small HOBs which are an AC50 and an AquaTech 10-20 which happens to be the perfect size for a polyfilter(well you do have to trim about 2" off the top).

We have 4 small fantails in the tank. Have 1 traditional Red, 2 calicos, and one which is a traditional red with black spots.

We will be adding a shoal of about 12 zebra danios in the future however I am going to let the tank sit as it is for the next few weeks. We also need to order the SO some non-natural garb

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    As promised :)

And pics of 3 of the golds...I didnt get a moderately OK one of the red fantail, however I am sure everyone knows what they look like anyway.

These two are my favs.

This one is the SOs fav

4x75Gs coming soon

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tank looks great! I sure love the driftwood and java? to the right!! I love seeing goldfish being well cared for!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    another beautifully scaped tank!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you both...I am curious how the tank fills out. The plant on the wood is NL Java fern. All of the golds came from our local Wal-Mart, very interesting to see how much they have perked up in only a matter of a single week. The rock on the piece of wood on the left are also only temporary, wood floats without it.

4x75Gs coming soon