· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Ancistrus fry (possible crossbreed?)

1 Not allowed!
    I have around 30 of these guys. They are a cross between a pseudo L144 and a brown. I have been told by several people that technically these two won't breed. Clearly that is not the case.

So the two pics here are of the one I am keeping. The rest will be sold to my LFS when they reach 5cm. They are currently researching what they can classify it as and their best guess so far is that it is a 'pied ancistus'.

Any opinions on what these might be would be appreciated. I have scoured google images and found nothing that matches them.

uploadfromtaptalk1393144507404.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1393144545993.jpg
    Learning as I go... and thanking everyone on this forum for their help, advice and patience!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ancistrus cf Cirrhosus? They defo (inter)breed to me.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think that would be the variation. Not too sure though.

What distinguishes them?
    Learning as I go... and thanking everyone on this forum for their help, advice and patience!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancistrus_cirrhosus

If this is the one we are referring to then mine are different. The article states a size of 8,9cm.

My female is around 10cm and the male is 13cm.

So maybe the female is but the male is too big to be that variation
    Last edited by Richard Peche; 02-23-2014 at 10:51 AM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have no idea what to call them, but that's a lovely pattern on those fish. Pity you're so far away, I would love to buy some of them from you. Ancistrus are among my very favorite aquarium fish.

-S

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Peche View Post
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancistrus_cirrhosus

If this is the one we are referring to then mine are different. The article states a size of 8,9cm.

My female is around 10cm and the male is 13cm.

So maybe the female is but the male is too big to be that variation
    Nope Richard. See http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/...?species_id=49

Cf Cirrhosus is different than Cirrhosus. To my knowledge due to the several diffent ones / hybrids / crossbreeds aso. To my believe cf means "looking like" All the common BN's are cf Cirrhosus to me. Btw other Ancisterusspecies "L-numbers" will interbreed as well.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393165201.429616.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393165252.491858.jpg
    No Cory, No Glory !!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you! I am keeping this one as I really want to see what an adult version will look like. I have made a gift of one to my contact at the lfs as the guy is an expert and has helped me out with many different things. He was over-the-moon :-). But it's nice to reward exceptional service and knowledge. I may also give one to a friend of mine, but only if his tank is up-to-scratch.

I am hoping that they will be worth a fair bit (considering that no one in SA has crossed these before) and then the funds can be used to get any supplies for my tanks as the year goes by. The Rand/Dollar exchange rate is raising prices quite dramatically.

Assuming a R10/$1 rate (it's higher at the moment) the store is offering me a minimum of $4,50 if they are only "normal" ancistrus and if they are the "pied" variety that could easily double or triple. They make between 75-100% markup.

Considering that I have 30 of them at least it should cover any fish-related expenses for a while.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How interesting!

So it could be a different colour morph of that species?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know that the prices here vary dramatically between the common brown and the pseduo L144. The fact that mine had blue-eyes raised the price further as they are really uncommon here.

I wonder what these little guys will go for?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another two of them. This colouration is pretty consistent across the spawn

uploadfromtaptalk1393166202522.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1393166177946.jpg