· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 
    Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 
    Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

Default Friday Fish Factoid - #2

3 Not allowed!
    This may seem a bit late.. but its still Friday here! (I've actually had this one since last Friday, was reminded yesterday and then got all caught up in something else so... sorry its a wee later)

Today's Factoid is about Sequential Hermaphroditism (And Clownfish... and maybe some interesting bits about Nemo...)

While it only happens rarely in freshwater fish, its not very uncommon for marine fish to change from one gender to the other over the course of their lifetime. The most commonly seen example in aquariums is the Clownfish.

All clownfish are born as males.

In a hosted anemone colony there is One Female, One Male that is her mate and any other clownfish are immature males. Should the female die, or be removed from the colony, then the largest male(who was her mate) changes gender into a female. The next largest/dominant immature male then matures and becomes the new Female's mate.

Now here's the interesting bit as it relates to Finding Nemo.... (Spoiler warning if you really haven't seen the film, then don't read below)

When Nemo's mother was killed. Nemo's father would have changed into a female, and Nemo, being the only immature male we see left in the colony would then have become the mature breeding male.

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    This is a very disturbing take on that film. I don't think I can look Nemo in the eye again.

-S

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    you have truly ruined finding nemo forever for me
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    That's messed up.

Awards Showcase

lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 
    Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 
    Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    It appears my work here is done!

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, you took that one in a unexpected direction

This can also be common from some types of Anthias as well
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    And suddenly its not a Disney movie anymore!

I picked up this factoid when I was working on IDing fish in the photos from our trip to the Virgin Islands awhile back.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wonder....doesn't that lead to inbreeding? Or incest if you must, lol. Do other fish join the group as immature males? Does anyone know?
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    That is a great question and one I hadn't looked at... so I just did.

It appears that the young males (Nemo if you will) leave their home anemone when they are still immature and go looking for a new colony where they hope to move up the ranks to eventually be a breeding male. Based on how many other immature males are in line, he may or may not ever fully mature into a breeding male.

So to revise the above scenario.. Nemo's Dad still becomes female, but one of Nemo's "uncles" *wink*nudge*wink* would have been the largest immature male that would finally get his w̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ sexual maturity, and Nemo would have left home to join up with another family to make winky eyes at the mated pair and any males ahead of him in line in hopes that someday he would have the privilege of fertilizing eggs and being a house husband.

0 Not allowed!
    That's very interesting... And creepy.
    Don't poke the crazy