· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Don't forget to do a large water change though of course, because of the 160ppm nitrates. Consider doing an 80% WC, then allowing 24 hours for temperature and pH to stabilize. You could add ammonia right after the water change to keep the BB fed, and it should be gone by the time you stock fish the next day.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I know I plan on at least 2 75% water changes, I knew the nitrates where going to be high since I started detecting traces of them like 3 days after the nitrites
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    So one question I do have on transferring fish from one tank to another. How much acclimation is needed? I mean they are both my own tanks, both cycled, both have the same temps within a couple tenths of a degree. So once I get the nitrates down by a few large water changes do I still need to do much besides really maybe doing a bag transfer to get the temps steady?

I didn't know if I can do that vs the standard LFS acclimation methods i do for fish otherwise
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

0 Not allowed!
    When i transferred the platys and the pristellas from the 10 to the 40B, all i did was net them out and plunk them in, holding my hand over the net from room to room so they wouldn't jump out
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    as I mentioned in my journal I plan on doing what I can tonight probably try to get 10-15 of them over. First though many large water changes to get those nitrates down - I did a 50% change over lunch, man was that some brown water from all the tannins the driftwood released. Will probably put some tank water in a 2 gallon bucket to put them in then shuffle them across the room
    Current tanks:

0 Not allowed!
    Why stress them out by netting them twice, especially if the tanks are in the same room?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    true wasn't thinking about that, was trying to avoid the least amount of water on the floor also
    Current tanks:

0 Not allowed!
    Make an old towel trail, that's what I did...or just wipe it up when you are done, Mrs. FT will thank you for the clean floor

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I may hold off one more day on introducing the fish, I did 3 more 50% water changes to night back to back to back. Some of the water did drain from the AC30 and had the power off for it for about 25 minutes hopefully it is still ok. So I will redose ammonia tonight to make sure if it is 0'ed out tomorrow as well I will transfer. Unless you think it will still be fine.

Current tanks:

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I went ahead and did one more dose that way I can verify all the BB are still in tact and give the tank a change to stabilize the temps. I did a total of four 50% (roughly) water changes - 1 over lunch and 3 more after the kids went to bed. I just hope none of it got to dried out didn't realize the filter drained as much as it did. If it is all looking good tomorrow night then I will do mass transfer of molly fry. The one continues to be in his net though as I don't want him nipping at the pearls.
    Current tanks: