· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Surprise Tank-mate!

0 Not allowed!
    So I was doing tank maintenance today and I found a little snail today. I don't know how it got there exactly but sure enough on the back wall of my tank there he was. Has anyone had this happen to them also? I have a planted tank, and my stock is listed in my signature, will it in anyway affect my tank? Should I remove it? I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't have snails in a planted tank, but since I don't have any experience with snails at all, I'm looking to educate myself.
    37 Gallon Community: (3)Diamond Tetra (1) Bushy Nose Pleco (7) rummy nose tetra (1) veil angel (1) red head angel (3) Serpae Tetra (1) Marci Rainbow (2) turquoise rainbow (1) bosemani rainbow (1) clown Pleco (1) clown loach

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    snail's not a problem if you want them in the tank, they do aerate the substrate, eat algae, eat excess food, etc. please make sure you have a pre-filter or something covering the intake else you may have problems with them clogging up filters.

however, there is a point where you can have too many and they become a nuisance. So take a close look if hey grow too much in numbers.. If this happens add an assassin snail.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    or many assassin snails - you may have gotten a pond snail hitchhiker, happens frequently with plants as far as I can tell. I had one hitch on to some floaters in my 37 gallon and a few months later I had more than I can count, thus added the 5 assassins. And yes they can start getting into your filter, I need to add a pre-filter sponge again to mine speaking of which.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    I seem to only have 1 snail, so I don't think numbers will be a problem.
    37 Gallon Community: (3)Diamond Tetra (1) Bushy Nose Pleco (7) rummy nose tetra (1) veil angel (1) red head angel (3) Serpae Tetra (1) Marci Rainbow (2) turquoise rainbow (1) bosemani rainbow (1) clown Pleco (1) clown loach

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    if it is a pond snail it doesn't matter - they don't need a mate to reproduce
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Where there is one.... there usually is many...

0 Not allowed!
    Last time I bought any plants was 2/10 and today is the first time I noticed him lol. I hope it isn't a pond snail because I never intended on having snails, nor do I want to have to now try to keep the population in check, especially by getting another type of snail. 1 I could have dealt with, but now I gotta keep a close eye.

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    The old weighted cup with lettuce in it trick works for getting rid of them, some of mine I just crush against the glass and the fish will eat them

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    It took a few weeks after I added my plants before I noticed any snails as well
    Current tanks:

0 Not allowed!
    i thought i only had one snail too but i have been picking them out everyday since finding the first one and it's been at least a month since i added my last plants. They are sneaky buggers and I'm wondering just how many there are in there. lol i see them most often in the morning when i turn the aquarium lights on. that's a good time to pluck them out.