· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: PH question

1. Default PH question

0 Not allowed!
    I ran the master tests yesterday and everything looked good but the PH had gone up from 6.8 to 7.6 in just over a week. The only thing we did different this week was add a teaspoon of baking soda to the water, would this have made that much difference?? Is it a huge problem to have this level PH?
    ~AquaMama

10 Gallon beginner

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yup, baking soda definitely would have done that. To comment on whether or not this this pH is a problem for your tank, I'd need to know what type of fish you have. However, I can tell you that the CHANGE in pH was problematic, as the acid concentration increased nearly ten times in such a short time period. How come you added the baking soda?
    Joseph Granata
    My decommissioned 37gal freshwater community tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=116054
    My current 37gal FOWLR tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...42#post1214342

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    baking soda is alkaline since it is used to neutralize acid, ie, it will raise you ph

0-6.9 pH = acidic
    7.0 ph = neutral
    7.1+ = alkaline or basic is it also known
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a dwarf gourami, molly, 2 molly fry and a mystery snail. I was told to add the baking soda to help brink up the GH/KH. Should I do a 50%water change and not add any baking soda?
    ~AquaMama

10 Gallon beginner

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Hmmm. I don't really know that much about GH/KH because I've never had to change those parameters so I haven't read up on them.

I assume that quickly changing the GH/KH/pH would stress your fish (as is true with rapidly changing any water parameter), but I'm not sure whether it would be worse to leave it the way it is. I would say do two 25% WCs instead to bring the levels down slower if you want to. Sorry I couldn't be of very much help - hopefully someone who knows more about GH/KH can help.
    Joseph Granata
    My decommissioned 37gal freshwater community tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=116054
    My current 37gal FOWLR tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...42#post1214342

2 Not allowed!
    Wow... I'm amazed your fish haven't gone into shock of some sort. lol That's quite a change in pH in just a week. Honestly, I wouldn't have dosed with any chemicals (baking soda included) to alter pH, you're better off leaving it alone, as the constant changes will stress your fish.

Most fish can handle a range of pH. For instance, the gourami can handle a pH within the range of 6.0 to 7.5. Mollies are pretty hardy fish and since they're probably tank raised, they're more likely to be able to adapt to your lower pH situation.

Do small water changes... I would do 10% in a week, then another 10% after a few days, and so on, so you can gradually bring your pH back down to your stable range.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

1 Not allowed!
    I'd wish more people would question what they do "I was told" often leads to trouble.

Anyway, mollies like it hard, gourami like it soft.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks - the fish "seem" fine, so I will do the smaller changes
    ~AquaMama

10 Gallon beginner

2 Not allowed!
    No prob. These things happen, because there's a lot of bad advice circling the hobby (usually in big box shops and the like). If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

2 Not allowed!
    Altering the GH/KH (which is what you did by adding the baking soda) is much more stressful on your fish than the changing pH. In natural water systems pH can fluctuate quite a bit every 24 hours, sometimes a full point or more and the fish are fine because the GH/KH stays the same. GH, KH, and pH are all related and a changing pH can indicate a change in GH/KH, and it is the change in the other two not the pH that stresses the fish. I suggest you bring it back to where it is naturally in your tank slowly so you don't over stress the fish.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.