· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Stocking with firemouth Cichlids

0 Not allowed!
    I'm looking to establish a pair of firemouth Cichlids in a 45g corner tank (it's the shape of a 2ft square with a corner snipped off, it has ~500sqin of area at the bottom).

I've chosen a sand substrate, and have an emperor 280 filtration system.

I'm planning on adding 2-3 smaller anubias plants.

Seeing as how the Firemouth's will stay towards the bottom of the tank, what are my options for tank mates that will utilize the top half of the tank.

I was hoping to add Angel fish, but am not sure if there will be enough room.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

0 Not allowed!
    if you really want to go with the firemouths, I would recommend a longer tank. a square does not really leave much length for aggression victims to
    flee if needed. if you are set for the tank,there are plenty of smaller, more peaceful cichlid species to choose from.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    if you really want to go with the firemouths, I would recommend a longer tank. a square does not really leave much length for aggression victims to
    flee if needed. if you are set for the tank,there are plenty of smaller, more peaceful cichlid species to choose from.
    I already own the Aquarium. My wife used it years ago to keep cichlid's in, including some firemouths. I'd really prefer to make the firemouth's work if possible, i was hoping that if i limited it to one pair, i wouldn't have issues. Is there a particular alternative you'd recommend, that is as active and interesting to watch?

Thanks for the reply!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well i went to the lfs to get my firemouth, and found that i had too much ammonia in my tank to get the fish right away. I'm using an old fishtank that has been in storage for about a decade, so the theory is some remnants in the filter or tank were causing a minor cycle. While i wait that out, i was able to do some more research, and have decided to forgo the Firemouth in favor of Bolivian rams. It looks as if the Bolivians have most of the characteristics i liked in the Firemouth, but will be less likely have issues with other fish, and are also smaller and so will do better in my tank. I will still be trying to establish a pair, even though Bolvivians are naturally Harem breeders, as from what I've read they adapt readily to be pair breeders, and the father will share fry rearing duties, with a single female.

So now i'm thinking.

2 x Bolivian Rams (paired)

2x Angelfish (Paired)

6 Cory catfish of a smaller variety.

and a small school of dither fish to make the Bolvians happy, and liven up the tank.

Getting a lot of different and often conflicting info on good dither than won't get chomped on by the angelfish once they reach maturity. I'd prefer somthing hardy and colorful that i can add to the tank to get it more established before the angels or bolvians, and that will fit without stressing my filtrations

Remember it's a emperor 280 in a 45gallon tank.

Suggestions?

0 Not allowed!
    congratulations on your choice of bolivian rams. they are very underrated fish.
    I would not be so sure on the harem spawning thing. i have 4 rams(used to be 6 but sold some)
    and there is certainly pair loyalty going on . I think rams are somewhere between completely monogamous and sequentially monogamous(switch mates after each breeding session, like most migratory birds)

I am sure more experienced angel people will chime in, but I don't think angels will do wellin a 45 gallon cube, much less with other smaller cichlids.

an emperor 280 is a 55 gallon filter if I recall correctly. Its rating does exceed the tank's volume, but
    you have to understand that manufacturers don't factor in media(especially not clogged and dirty) and tubes coated with algae. actual flow rate of a filter
    could be much, much less than advertised. most of us here use filters rated for 2X tank volume, if not more.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    congratulations on your choice of bolivian rams. they are very underrated fish.
    I would not be so sure on the harem spawning thing. i have 4 rams(used to be 6 but sold some)
    and there is certainly pair loyalty going on . I think rams are somewhere between completely monogamous and sequentially monogamous(switch mates after each breeding session, like most migratory birds)

I am sure more experienced angel people will chime in, but I don't think angels will do wellin a 45 gallon cube, much less with other smaller cichlids.

an emperor 280 is a 55 gallon filter if I recall correctly. Its rating does exceed the tank's volume, but
    you have to understand that manufacturers don't factor in media(especially not clogged and dirty) and tubes coated with algae. actual flow rate of a filter
    could be much, much less than advertised. most of us here use filters rated for 2X tank volume, if not more.
    Thanks for the support with the Bolvians, i have gotten really excited about them. My lfs doesn't have any atm, but is going to see if they can get some in.

In regards to the Angelfish, most of the research I've done seems to suggest 45g in a cube would be sufficient. It will give them more vertical space than many much larger tanks, which they like due to their height.

I decided to get my small school of dither first since they would be the smallest, most robust fish in the tank. I got talked into 4 "candy cane tetra" (which seems to be a nickname for bentos tetra), my wife liked the way they looked, and the lfs guy said they would do well as dither, and would occupy the top-mid of the tank. Unfortunately they seem most happy at the bottom of the tank, perhaps that's just because they are the only fish in there now. I know i should keep a school of at least 5-6, but they only had 4 at the store. I will pick them up some buddies at a later date.

As far as filtration goes, i realize that a 55g filter cannot reliably filter a 55g tank stocked to capacity. However i feel reasonably confident that with the fish in there, it will be sufficient. Aqdvisor says i have 95% of the recommended capacity, and is by it's own admission very conservative.

that's stocking
    2x Angels
    2x Bolvian Rams
    6x bentos tetra
    5x panda cory

What is kind of odd though, is that Aqdvisor says

"Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 119% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Pterophyllum scalare, Mikrogeophagus altispinosus, Corydoras panda) or get a larger tank."

Then a couple lines down says: "Your aquarium stocking level is 104%"

So what is it, 119% or 104%?

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    As long as you buy the angels paired or have a pairing tank and are selling the others, your stock is ok. I realistically would just say you go with 2 bolivians, 1 angel, 12 tetra of whatever you like and 10 cory's. Plant the tank nicely to provide sight breaks and you should be fine. Angels with other fish in a corner tank is not going to fly when breeding comes around.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's