· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Blood Parrot

1. Default Blood Parrot

0 Not allowed!
    Hello! Let me start by saying that I am well aware of my need to cycle my tank before buying my fish. I just want advice on something rather specific. I have a 36g bowfront and I am trying to decide what type of fish I want to get. I am very fond of the blood-red parrots but I know as adults they get some size on them so my question is this: can I safely keep just one blood parrot in a 36g? I have done tanks with a lot of fish before and I think with this one I just want one big fish rather than an entire community. Thoughts? I'm reading that they can be up to 8 inches as adults on average.

**Sorry for posting this twice but I think I posted it in the wrong place earlier.

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I would advise against it because blood parrots are social fish and a group will do better than a single. Fishmommie has a group of 3 in her 90 gallon tank so maybe she will chip in.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Any suggestions for a fish that would be okay by itself and still get at least upper medium sized?

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I agree with lady godiva. Blood parrots are wonderful, personable fish but they do need a family unit. Three would be the minimum I'd suggest and you don't have the room.

A single angel fish would be a good possibility. In fact angels do best as singles do very well alone as they like to own the entire tank :o) You could have some additional fish in the tank with the Angel if you like. If you buy the angel as a small fish, you could add a school of cardinal tetras - say 10 - 15 - at the same time. If they grow up together, the likelihood of the angel ever viewing them as food should not be an issue. It would make a very pretty tank. You'd even have room for a pleco and or some cory cats if you like them.
    I have a single angel in a 30 gal with 13 harelquen rasboras and a smalls school of zebra danios as dithers for the angel. they are all so fast that if she does feel in a predatory mood, she couldn't catch them.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 02-18-2014 at 06:04 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I agree with lady godiva. Blood parrots are wonderful, personable fish but they do need a family unit. Three would be the minimum I'd suggest and you don't have the room.

A single angel fish would be a good possibility. In fact angels do best as singles do very well alone as they like to own the entire tank :o) You could have some additional fish in the tank with the Angel if you like. If you buy the angel as a small fish, you could add a school of cardinal tetras - say 10 - 15 - at the same time. If they grow up together, the likelihood of the angel ever viewing them as food should not be an issue. It would make a very pretty tank. You'd even have room for a pleco and or some cory cats if you like them.
    I have a single angel in a 30 gal with 13 harelquen rasboras and a smalls school of zebra danios as dithers for the angel. they are all so fast that if she does feel in a predatory mood, she couldn't catch them.
    thank you for the suggestion! I think I may actually try angel fish. I am pretty excited! I just purchased the API master test kit and am going to start my first fishless cycle as soon as I get everything all set up. I have had fish tanks for years and years, but I've never actually gotten the master test kit and tried a fishless cycle. So I am giving it a shot.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good for you for cycling fishless. You're going to be so glad you did. When the cycle is complete, you can completely stock your tank. Done deal :o)
    Good luck and we'll love seeing photos :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Default Blood Parrot

0 Not allowed!
    An angel is great. I had only ever seen the small ones in the pet store until recently when I saw a full grown adult in a tank by itself. It was huge! Gorgeous fins. If I thought it would be happy in my tank I would have snatched it up immediately.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress