· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 
    Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    Dang it CL, if your not right!! I didn't read the first paragraph at all . I owe stingrayg4 an apology also, sorry guys, I'm always getting on slap about doing the same thing.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Just throwing this out there but by the white filter you are referring to the polishing pad (the thin one). You said it was in the bottom? That should be on top. The coarse sponges should be first since they catch the big stuff. The Rena filters water flows down the outside to the bottom of the container then up through the middle.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    I owe stingrayg4 an apology also
    Not as far as I'm concerned. We all have our opinions, and we come here to share them.

-S

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    Dang it CL, if your not right!! I didn't read the first paragraph at all . I owe stingrayg4 an apology also, sorry guys, I'm always getting on slap about doing the same thing.
    LOL! I did this yesterday. I was trying to throw out ideas on the thread about a weird jellybean looking item on a plant in someone's aquarium. After much thought I suggested it could possibly be a new leaf growing out. On my regular plants, they sometimes look like that at the start of a new leaf bud.

Yeah....her original post clearly stated they are silk plants. We all do it! :)
    40 gallon FW -1 male halfmoon betta named Max, 2 GBR's (Peter and Lois) who better clean up their act, 11neon tetras (damn GBR's killed one), 12 black neon tetras, 2 assassin snails, and 1 albino BN pleco named Tiberius.

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Ok, so moving forward with the fish stocking suggestions, am I good to add the 12 neons this weekend and then add the remaining few fish a week later? I know I asked earlier, but I want to make sure that waiting a week after this school will be sufficient.

In regards to the filter....eh...he isn't awake yet. Still not sure how I am going to approach this subject with him again.

A little background:

He has been begging for a tank for years. He had a common pleco that was about 2 feet long when we met. The poor thing lived in a 50 gallon super dirty tank (bachelor times). That being said, it lived with hubby for years and years with no problems before my mother in law added 2 fish 'friend's to the tank that killed all of them within a few days. It was sad. We watched the pleco invert his colors and hubby stood up at night trying to keep it alive. He got rid of the tank and moved on. I don't know that he ever went through or even knew of proper tank procedures with that fish. No fault to him. If our fish dude hadn't stopped us and taught us better we probably both would have done the same thing with this tank. We really didn't know any better. So, his experience is that he followed no 'proper' procedure and had a fish for years that grew to 2 feet long. (We know now that the tank was too small, not cycled correctly, etc.)

So, while he has had a fish before about 13 years ago, he is still completely new to actually caring for the tanks properly. He wants a happy and healthy tank and has followed all other rules to a tee. I'm starting to think the issue is less about how to clean the filter and more about something else.

I refused to get a tank. I didn't want the hassle and trouble that comes with it and said no for 13 years. Well, a few months ago I decided why not. Let's do this. I told him the tank responsibility would be all his. I didn't really want any ownership of it.

Well, after the fish dude stopped us from doing something bad with our tank, I started to research.....and I got hooked. Now I love the tank, love testing the water, caring for the fish, etc. I have been obsessed with researching the type of fish we should get and proper care, etc. He has mentioned that the tank isn't really his, it's mine a few times now. I am thinking that he feels a bit slighted by the whole thing and I understand that. I guess I should back off a bit and let him take control of the tank. My problem is I am a researcher and he is not. So, maybe it isn't about the filter, perse, but standing his ground that this is his tank to be responsible for.

Does that make sense to anyone else or am I just grasping at straws here?! Lol!

Thanks for everyone's help!
    40 gallon FW -1 male halfmoon betta named Max, 2 GBR's (Peter and Lois) who better clean up their act, 11neon tetras (damn GBR's killed one), 12 black neon tetras, 2 assassin snails, and 1 albino BN pleco named Tiberius.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenalee View Post
    Ok, so moving forward with the fish stocking suggestions, am I good to add the 12 neons this weekend and then add the remaining few fish a week later? I know I asked earlier, but I want to make sure that waiting a week after this school will be sufficient.
    I think that would be okay, provided you can stop your husband from killing off the BB by power washing the filter.

-S

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and also, do make sure that your water parameters are where they need to be before adding those rams.

-S

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingrayg4 View Post
    Oh and also, do make sure that your water parameters are where they need to be before adding those rams.

-S
    Absolutely!

Awards Showcase

Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 
    Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I concur with Stingrayg4, add the neons this weekend after you ck your parms.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

1 Not allowed!
    I think the neons will be ok. They have a relatively low bioload. I have heard many express the opinion that neons are sensitive and easy to kill, but that has not been my experience.

It probably isn't worth getting into it too much with hubby over the filter issue. Make your recommendations to him, but whatever he decides, just be there to help him if problems arise.

It's not like he wants to rinse the entire filter this way. At the end of the day, it's really a single pad.

Ultimately he will be happy you are sharing this hobby together. My hubby hates my fish (despite pitching in to help me while I have had health problems). When I get all excited about something new that is fish related and start blabbing to him, his blanket response is "why do I care about this? I hate the fish." He says it in a mildly joking tone, but he's not kidding hehe.

It would be so nice if he was involved.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress