· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Sick synodontis

1. Default Sick synodontis

0 Not allowed!
    Hello. As the topic states one of my synos is very ill. It started slowly with a thick slime on his body, cloudy eyes, and fin rot. I proceeded to up the temp and perform daily water changes using API water conditioner +stress coat. The slime went away, but the fin rot and cloudy eyes remained. Then he crashed, staying on the bottom with a bent tail fin. Before crashing his resting state was abnormal: he would float around face up, tail down against the sand. For a day he rested on his side against the air stone. I created a 10 gallon quarantine tank, filled it with water from his home (50 gallon tank) and used some filter and some bio medium in the qt tank's filter. I added to the quarantine tank one package of API Fungus Cure Powder and temp at 80. Quarantine and medication was Saturday. I came home today (Monday), he is still crashed eyes cloudy and the ends of his tail fin are gone. In the 10gal tank with him is my other syno who had cloudy eyes and fin rot..today his tail fin is bent, eyes still cloudy. As per instructions I have added another package of the API Fungus Cure.

Before this the 50 gal tank was tested extensively. Nitrites 0 Nitrates between 10-20, pH 7.0, and no ammonium. Water changes, as said, done daily. The only other fish in there are angels, they are fine. We suffered a day and a half power outage here in North Carolina on Thursday that no doubt aggravated the issue.

The quarantine tanks parameters as tested are 0 Nitrites and Nitrates, pH 6 ish and positive for ammonia now. I have added ammo lock.

I am at a loss here! The poor guy is crashed and breathing quick, cloudy eyed, and missing his tail fin ends. I topped off the water just now and he swam all crazy until crashing again. The other guy might be getting worse too.
    Is there anything else I can do? Thank you for any advice.

0 Not allowed!
    sorry for your fish. how long has this been going on for?
    if you could post non-blurry pictures, that would help too.

I would not treat against fungus, because it does not sound like it. it sounds more bacterial in origin,
    or maybe also protozoan.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A picture would be difficult right now as the treatment has changed the water green. If it sounds like bacterial then I'm going to lower the temp a little tonight and do a water change tomorrow to remove the meds. He's been in the crashed condition since Thursday and getting worse.

I hate to go for more chemicals, but nothing else is working, is there a medicine for bacteria?

Or should I begin removing the medicine tonight? Is it harming?
    Last edited by shinneh; 02-18-2014 at 03:43 AM.