· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Cindy, even an XP-S is going to hold much more biomedia than the AC and Aqueon combined. Put a prefilter sponge on the intake and you'll be good to go. And there really are no bad choices here.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Try lubing up the motor rod that attaches to the impeller? lol, sorry I don't know the technical term for it. ;P

Edit: Impeller Shaft! That's what it's called. ;P I have some food-grade o-lubricant that I use, but you could probably use something else. Maybe Vaseline or olive oil. Something safe for the fishes.
    Yep, that should take care of it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I have an XP2 which I think is now called the XP M and since I had my measuring stick out it is a bit over 14" from bottom to the top of the hose attachments. It is rated for up to 75 gallons and is a decent filter. It may work in the space you have.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Try lubing up the motor rod that attaches to the impeller? lol, sorry I don't know the technical term for it. ;P

Edit: Impeller Shaft! That's what it's called. ;P I have some food-grade o-lubricant that I use, but you could probably use something else. Maybe Vaseline or olive oil. Something safe for the fishes.
    Thanks Kev. Picked this up a long time ago to apply a thin coat of vaseline to the impeller shaft so I did that - do that every time I clean a filter. Olive oil sounds like a good choice too.
    I think maybe the motor might be wearing out. Not sure what the life of an AC is supposed to be but I've gotten a lot of work out of this one.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I think maybe the motor might be wearing out. Not sure what the life of an AC is supposed to be but I've gotten a lot of work out of this one.
    LOL...they last forever if taken care of and a replacement motor is cheap. You just want a new canister and I don't blame you...come on, admit it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    LOL...they last forever if taken care of and a replacement motor is cheap. You just want a new canister and I don't blame you...come on, admit it.
    you're such a smarty pants.

the truth is, I'm going to go on an 18 day business trip in May. that leaves hubby to watch the tanks. I want to make sure everything is in tip top condition so he doesn't have to do but 1 water change while I'm gone. He's not the most detail oriented person so I want to simplify. the AC makes me nervous as I've always had issues with it. I always have to prime it, sometimes it won't start unless I fiddle with the motor and so on. So I was going to replace it with something anyway and have decided it just as well be a canister.
    Plus now that I have the dual canisters running on the 90 gal, it's so quiet compared to when I had just 1 canister and the HOB
    So I do have my reasons :o) And by cracky, they're good ones - yes siree bob!
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - steeler1   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   We can only try...lol - Slaphppy7   For helping me remember, and for all you do! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I support any excuse to fiddle with new fish supplies. Besides, if you completely remove the ac, service it a little and clean it up nice, you have a great backup filter to store for an emergency.
    ~Manna
    120 gallon FW bowfront in progress

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    I have an XP2 which I think is now called the XP M and since I had my measuring stick out it is a bit over 14" from bottom to the top of the hose attachments. It is rated for up to 75 gallons and is a decent filter. It may work in the space you have.

Ah - that's sounding good. Do you think it will be too much current for my angel in the 30 gal? or does it have a way to adjust the current? I have the big XP rated for 175 on my 90 now. There is no spray bar, just an single water outlet and i haven't seen anything in the instructions allowing me to adjust anything but the angle of the flow. It's not an issue in the 90 but it does make me wonder about the 30 gal.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   for providing sage tips to  and keeping up with -- so many - RiversGirl   Have a Angelfish for the advice on Dan's Journal, I can't rep you anymore yet :) - steeler58   You really need some discus :o) - fishmommie   A quick ninja penguin for you. - mommy1   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

0 Not allowed!
    Ah - that's sounding good. Do you think it will be too much current for my angel in the 30 gal? or does it have a way to adjust the current? I have the big XP rated for 175 on my 90 now. There is no spray bar, just an single water outlet and i haven't seen anything in the instructions allowing me to adjust anything but the angle of the flow. It's not an issue in the 90 but it does make me wonder about the 30 gal.
    I have an AC70 and an XP-M on my 40B with 3 angels in it. You'll be fine. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   for providing sage tips to  and keeping up with -- so many - RiversGirl   Have a Angelfish for the advice on Dan's Journal, I can't rep you anymore yet :) - steeler58   You really need some discus :o) - fishmommie   A quick ninja penguin for you. - mommy1   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

1 Not allowed!
    sorry about your lost lamb chop :o(
    as for keeping them in a minimum size group - my lone colombian tetra seems to be fairing well enough. I still want him out of there but I have to get in the right mental frame to catch him AND it has to coincide with a trip to the LFS which won't be any time soon :o(
    I think this was supposed to be posted in Lee's journal.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.