· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Unhappy Buenos Aires Tetra - Swollen Gill

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 40g tank with 4 Buenos Aires Tetras and 4 corydoras. I've had the fish for nearly 1 year and the tank is about 14 yrs old. (the previous occupant was a 25 yr old pleco).

About 3 weeks ago I noticed that one tetra had a swollen gill. It looks slightly inflamed and red. I have used the following: Maracyn, Maracyn Plus and Maroxy. Each medication has been used as directed and separately. So, one week I used Maracyn (removed the filter), then did a water change, inserted a new filter and monitored the water parameters. I waited a couple of days and used the next medication and followed the same steps. The tetra still has the inflamed gill but now the tiny fin between the dorsal fin and tail fin is grayish looking, not fuzzy, just gray. He/she is breathing a bit harder than the other tetras and occasionally floats near the top of the tank. He/she is still eating and otherwise is acting normally.

The water parameters are all normal. I clean the tank every 2 weeks and replace the carbon filter every 3 weeks. I use an Aqueon filter and I don't clean the plastic bioscreen (or whatever it's called). About 8 months ago I did have another tetra that had inflamed gills and did not respond to treatment.

I'm not sure what to do next. Which medication should I use? I have Melafix on hand and I was debating on using that next. I'm not sure why this happens because the tank is really stable and I have not added anything new or changed anything.

Any ideas would be appreciated,

Thanks, Crystal

0 Not allowed!
    I'm too sure what could be going on, but there could be a few things going on making this a little worse.

Did you remove the carbon cartridge while you were dosing the meds ? The reason why I ask this is because carbon will also remove meds from the water.

Could you have lower oxygen levels in your tank? Dosing meds can reduce the amount of oxygen in the water if you do not have a lot of water movement at the surface of the tank. If this could be a possibility, then add a air bubbler.

Did you do a very very large water change before treatment with the second medication ? Although the first medication would have been very effective at that point, unless you were running carbon in the aquarium there still could have been some of that med in the water and could have had a unplanned reaction with the second medication.

Perhaps the best next steps would be to complete a very large water changes and add a little more surface movement of the water to ensure you have enough oxygen in the water.

Do you have access to different medications ? I have never had much good results with those meds

Edit: I forgot to mention, have you checked your water parameters again after treatment with both meds and removing the filter for a while? If not, you may want to do so.
    Last edited by Cliff; 02-17-2014 at 01:00 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I did remove the carbon filter each time I medicated. I also have 2 3" round air bubblers and the filter output so there is quite a bit of water movement. Since the Maroxy treatment the biological media is shot. Ammonia was at .5-1.0 and nitrites were at .25. So I've been doing daily water changes (25-30%), upped the Prime amount (according to directions) and added some Safestart bacteria. Yesterday ammonia was at .5 and nitrites were the same.

The tetra didn't eat for a couple of days, but he is eating now and is more active. The gray spot is smaller but his gill still looks the same. The other fish still seem unaffected and are all acting normal. I read up on gill flukes but that doesn't seem to fit either.

I'm not sure what other medications I could use that wouldn't harm the corys.

Thanks, Crystal

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I noticed you said you do water changes every 2 weeks...how much do you change at that time and is it possible your nitrates are slowly rising from not doing weekly changes? Some fish are more sensitive to nitrates than others and gill damage and gasping is a symptom of high nitrates. What are your normal nitrate readings? The other thing I was a little confused with is you said one week you "removed the filter" medicated and put in a new filter...are you referring to carbon only or more than that?

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal900 View Post
    Ammonia was at .5-1.0 and nitrites were at .25. So I've been doing daily water changes (25-30%), upped the Prime amount (according to directions) and added some Safestart bacteria. Yesterday ammonia was at .5 and nitrites were the same.

I'm not sure what other medications I could use that wouldn't harm the corys.

Thanks, Crystal
    I would first worry about getting your water parameters in line. You should be basing the size of your water change on your test rests to keep the ammonia and/or nitrites at of less than 0.25ppm. For example, if your ammonia is at 1ppm, then you need to complete a 75% water change to lower to 0.25ppm.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So I checked the water parameters and ammonia is nearly 0, nitrites are still at .25. So, should I do a 50% water change next?

And, yes it is possible that nitrites are higher before I clean the aquarium (at every 2 weeks). I really haven't checked regularly. I will do so from now on and see if there's a pattern.

When I medicated I removed the carbon filter and only replaced it after the dosage interval ended and I did a water change. I wanted to get the water parameters back to normal before trying the next medication. Everything was under control until I tried the Maroxy treatment, that's when the biological media was totaled. Of course that could have been a cumulative effect.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So, the water parameters have been normal (ammonia 0, nitrites 0) for the last few days. The tetra still has the grayish spot and the gill sticks out a bit but it is not red like it was. He is active and is eating normally.

I still wanted to try the melafix this week unless everyone thinks it's a bad idea. I am going to stop by the pet store and purchase a small tank, etc. to use as a QT since I want to add a few more fish.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.