· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default Crisis Adverted!

0 Not allowed!
    So last night around 9pm my Aquaclear 50 started malfunctioning on my 20 gallon. For a good 3 hours it was spilling water all over my floor. I was asleep and didn't find out until 11pm when my younger brother came up from the basement, his bedroom, and told me water was pouring through his ceiling. I immediately drained the tank water, removed my fish, removed my decor, removed the filters and heater and checked the tank for cracks or leaks. Luckily for me the tank was not broken and it was my Aquaclear. For some reason it was sucking up more water than it could hold and it began dumping it all over my floor. I dried the floor and there doesn't seem to be any damage to the wood. I had my brother spray the damp areas of his ceiling with Lysol to prevent any mold growth. I lowered the flow of the Aquaclear and the tank seems to be doing alright. I lost 1 oto to this ordeal. I'm not sure what stressed it but it jumped from the tank to its inevitable death. Other than that I managed to clean up the crisis fairly easy. I also did my water change for the tank while I was at it, as I didn't want to use the dirty water that I drained from the tank to check it for cracks(I was due for a water change anyway), so I ended up doing a nearly 95% water change for my fish. Everyone is doing okay and are all very active. Even my GBR is doing alright and seems not to have been affected in the slightest.

On another note my GBR is starting to become quite territorial with the cories. He was very nice and tolerant of them when I first got him but lately he'll chase them away from the right side of the tank if he sees them. He hasn't nipped or attacked any of them but he gives them a good chase.. I'm going to be changing the layout of this tank in a few weeks when I can get together all the supplies I need but other than changing the tank layout is there anything I can do to curb his aggression? Along with becoming more territorial he's grown quite a bit in size since his arrival and his color is gorgeous.

One last, off topic, question, does anyone know any good foods for cichlids that aid with digestion? I'm trying to find something good for my GBR to eat to help clean out his system a bit, since the majority of the foods I fed him during his first couple weeks were very meaty and high in protein.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Was the filter due for a cleaning? A clogged sponge, or other blockage, might cause the water to overflow out.
    I've heard of GBR getting snippy with cory, it doesn't always happen, but it is more common than people realize. Sometime they want to claim more territory than their profiles say they will and they don't read the same books we do. Have you tried feeding peas yet?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    I have not. I think I have frozen peas.. Would those work? How should I prepare them? I don't believe I'm due to clean the filter. I'm pretty sure it hasn't even been set up for more than a month or two.. I'll continue to watch it to make sure it doesn't start leaking again. I'll definitely clean it out next week though. Hopefully the GBR will settle down and be nicer to my cories. I really love them and they haven't been out as much lately.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Microwave the peas for a few second, just enough to soften them up. Then take the outer shell off, smush them, and drop them in the tank.

I am beginning to really dislike the AC filters. The newer ones seem to have a lot of issues.

Usually, once aggression starts it continues. Corys are entertaining for us but they seem to annoy their bottom dwelling tank mates with their activity. Rearranging the tank may help but keep a close eye on the GBR, he may just want more room than he is entitled to have.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

1 Not allowed!
    Are you running the AC filter with a carbon insert? If yes, I remove the carbon insert and just use the sponge and biomax.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Alright I'll definitely feed him some peas later. And other than this the AC filters have worked amazingly for me. The only thing I've noticed is that you have to watch how much media you put in them as they tend to overflow very easily. Other than that they're the best HOB filters I've purchased. And thank you, I'll try to keep an eye on him. I've only really noticed his aggression in the last week or so. The cories are starting to learn though and tend to stay on the left side of the tank and away from him. They tend to come out at night a lot more too, since the GBR is sleeping. Hopefully he calms down but if not I don't see it being an issue. He's not going out of his way to chase them, he'll only chase them out of his territory. Plus he isn't nipping or full on attacking them so I believe they'll be okay for now.

@Taurus, no I don't use carbon in my filters. My 2 tanks are both amazon themed so I like have the tanned water so I don't use carbon. I use one coarse foam insert, bio-stones, and one fine foam insert.

7. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gesp56 View Post
    @Taurus, no I don't use carbon in my filters. My 2 tanks are both amazon themed so I like have the tanned water so I don't use carbon. I use one coarse foam insert, bio-stones, and one fine foam insert.
    Is it possible two sponges....especially with one being fine...is more than the water can pass through freely?

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah Deb, that was my next thought.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Two months could do it...if there was alot of debris caught in the sponges. I have a calander for "fishies" only and I write everything on it....filter rinses...new fish...new plants...changes in decor...fertilizer...everything....then I'm never guessing. It's easy to forget exactly when things were done.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Up until now the water level in the filter was normal, its probably due to excess debris. I have the same type of media, in smaller amounts, in my 10 gallon's Aquaclear 30 and I cleaned it out today while I was doing the water change. Before I cleaned it out the water level in the filter, while it was running, was nearly to the point of overflowing. Now that its cleaned out the water level is about 1 1/2 cm from the top rim of the filter. Hopefully after I clean out my Aquaclear 50 I'll be able to adjust the flow back to normal, until then I'll just keep the flow on its lowest setting. I'll clean out the filter next weekend when I do my next water change. I already messed with it once this weekend and had to drain it and everything so I don't want to mess with it too much ya know?