· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default a snail from where in the world???

0 Not allowed!
    I am feeding my fish when i notice something black sticking to the glass. There is a baby snail! It's been about a month since I've added anything new to my tank. what in the world! It's black and has a pointy end. I'm curious what kind it is.

I had just finished reading a thread where someone said to smush the snails and your fish will love you so i told my hubby to smush it while i turned away but he said he couldn't.. i cant kill anything so i guess for now we have a mysterious hitch hiker. does it ever end? lol

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Most likely hitched a ride, Did you get some live plants for your tank? It was most likely the common pond snail and if there is one you are bound to probably have more.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i got plants almost a month ago? rinsed a ton of snails off of them. I am trying to find a photo to compare it to. i hope it's only one. I can't believe I'm just now seeing it!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    pond snail it is!! of course....

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    if you are lucky you had one egg. but usually when there is one there is more. I found one and not knowing what it was I let it go. Yea that was a mistake that one turned into over 50 that I was able to count on the glass alone in approximately 2 and a half months. So last night I introduced 5 assassin snails to the tank to eat their buffet.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was just reading that thread before I got up to feed my fish and saw the snail! lol (congrats to you BTW! How very exciting!!) I was debating having something in there that would eat other somethings. I don't deal well with death or dieing. I've been debating some type of snail hoping it would help with any extra nutrients in the tank that could cause issues but was not ready to commit and especially not to a pond snail.

0 Not allowed!
    With good food management you won't get an infestation. In my early days I overfed and my tank was a huge ramshorn fest. I still have those little ramshorns, but now I see 2-3 per week and they usually end up crushed and swallowed by gouramis unless I feel particularly merciful when I spot them.

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    upon inspecting my aquarium this morning it looked like the snail was 3 times bigger! I even had my hubby come to check and he agreed. This evening I was doing a quick vac of the sand when i noticed there were 2!!!! I am not for hurting living things and I already have deep guilt for getting rid of the tons of snails that were on plants i bought about a month ago but I scooped both out. I feel horrible but I have to look out for the health of my tank. ugh... checking it every few minutes to see if i can find more.

I'm sorry for posting this in the wrong area. I hadn't noticed there was a snail section.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Buy some Assassin snails. It is the circle of life after all. :)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i plucked another one out this afternoon. assassin snails it is. I did see some at the LFS. well, their shells sitting in the gravel, they were unlabeled. how many would be good for a 65g tank? i need to read up more on feeding them when there are no snails.