· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Toxin buildup on the filter due to power outage...??

0 Not allowed!
    Somewhere on this forum i have seen written that if filters are not running then the toxins starts to build up on them and when they are restarted its best to clean them and then start them to avoid releasing the toxins in the tank.

I have few questions related to this as i am witnessing power outages from last week like twice in a week because of some repairing work going on.

1.) Is this the case with all kinds of filters like external, top of the tank filters and internal filters.. I have all of the 3 kinds of filters in my 200 gallons. 2 top of the tank filters (1200 l/h capacity each) are company fitted, One internal filter (2000 l/h) and one canister filter (2400 l/h). Please advise.

2.) How long it takes to build up significant amount of toxins on filters when the power is gone? I am witnessing a power outage of about 6 to 7 hours a day twice a week, from last week due to some repairing work?

3.) Should i clean all my filters to avoid toxins to be released in the tank, if this is the case seems lots of work, but have to do for the well-being of my fishes.

Pleased advise...

0 Not allowed!
    It's a theoretical possibility I suppose. Never seen it myself and I know of quite a few people who start their filters again after such a poper outage without issues.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Even my filters started several times without any problems, but when i read about this on this forum i thought of clearing my doubts rather having some problems later.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've got internals & externals, they have been off for quite a few hours and turned back on when power returned with no probs.

Extended times, like 24hours + of being off, I personally clean before allowing it to restart
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasse View Post
    Extended times, like 24hours + of being off, I personally clean before allowing it to restart
    I understand, its better to clean them if they remain off for 24+ hours, few hours shut off doesn't matter much..

Should this be the case for both internal and external filters and does this not effect the bacterial colony in the filters if i clean them all at one go.?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bhupeshkhanna View Post
    I understand, its better to clean them if they remain off for 24+ hours, few hours shut off doesn't matter much..

Should this be the case for both internal and external filters and does this not effect the bacterial colony in the filters if i clean them all at one go.?
    Clean them in water from the tank, it wont effect bacteria. And even if it does to some extent, far preferable to have a mini cycle than dump a canister worth of toxic muck into your tank

I always add Prime to a tank that the filters have been off for extended time
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasse View Post
    Clean them in water from the tank, it wont effect bacteria. And even if it does to some extent, far preferable to have a mini cycle than dump a canister worth of toxic muck into your tank
    Agreed.. will take care if this happens.

0 Not allowed!
    I have had my filters off overnight and started them up without issue

I believe the bacteria will start to die off after around 24 hours without a food source. How long it would take to kill it all off and effect you water quality would be very hard to predict. You should be fine as your filters were off for less than 24 hours
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3 Not allowed!
    I agree, its a topic that is hard to accurately answer - I think after an extended power outage it could happen with a BB die-off, but I think it was cliff that mentioned just putting the media in the tank and using a battery powered air pump near it to help it survive - think thats the best idea I've seen

1 Not allowed!
    Good memory Triton. I once accidentally broke one of my canister filters when cleaning it and had to wait 5 days to order in a replacement part. I put all the media in the tank in a area of high flow. I tested the water every until the canister was fixed and a few days after it was repaired and running with no changes to the water quality, not even a mini-spike
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]