· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Candy cane tetras, and he named one glasses because he thinks he looks like he is wearing glasses one of his fish. So the fish names are Mr handsome (his original), Mr sucky his bristelnose, glasses (one of the new ones) and cannot remember what he called the other.

Awards Showcase

BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 
    6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady 
    Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 
    Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    That's right, candy canes, or "ornate" tetra, Hyphessobrycon bentosi...very pretty tetra, reminds me a bit of the rosy tetras that I keep....here's some good info: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...rycon-bentosi/

As you can see in the article, they do best with at least 6 in a group, or even better with 10...after the new ones settle in, I would get at least 2-4 more of them, they will shoal together and really show off their colors with a few more members in their school.....love the names your son has given them, very cute
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah he is 5 so the names are pretty funny :). Yeah we will prob wait until Sunday to get the other 3 or maybe longer if anything happens to the water parameters(not levels like I had been using) if not than Sunday we should get the last 3. We want to give them plenty of room in this tank to play around, I watched them all yesterday once I completed the drip acclimation and they did not nip at each other and they treat handsome as the leader since he has been in there the longest. I tried to make sure to get them the same size or as close as possible and it seems to have worked. They are really fun to watch and their colors are great and the 2 I got are different than handsome is as they have a spot of black here and there and handsome does not, so even Gage can spot which is which.

Awards Showcase

BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 
    6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady 
    Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 
    Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a good plan...that is neat that Gage can pick out the differences in the fish...glad that they are all doing well, watch your water, but it should be fine...and get us a pic or a video when you can

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well bad news we lost Mr Sucky the plecto the other night. Showed no signs of bad health, checked on him after like 15 minutes and sometime between that he dropped to bottom of the tank dead on his side :(. He had been doing so well from where he was originally hiding all the time, to being seen often. The water parameters are still good with ammonia at 0 along with nitrites but I guess the stress of living in those bad conditions that long finally took their toll on him. Gage is completely upset at Mr Sucky was the fish he had the longest after the original Betta died. After all that we are going to wait a little longer to get the 3 more candy cane tetras and than look about getting a plecto again. My question is does a tank have to have a plecto or sucker fish of any kind? Thanks Doug

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about your loss. A tank really doesn't need a sucker fish (aka pleco or algae eater) If you have an algae problem, a pleco would do you well. You could also do Red Cherry Shrimp. They'd probably be more entertaining than a pleco, but I don't know the compatibility between Candy cane tetras and RCS. Did you feed your pleco or just let Mr Sucky eat the natural algae? Another alternative to a pleco would be live plants. Java fern and Anubias Nana are 2 plants that do well in low light and require very little maintenance. You could add a root tab for the Anubias Nana and dose with liquid CO2 and you would see better growth out of them.
    37g Freshwater 1 Angelfish, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Cardinals, 1 Bristlenose Pleco.
    Live Plants Java Fern, Anubias, Amazon Sword, Moneywort, and Bronze Wendtii. And soon to be Balansae crypts, and probably more crypts... Blame Compass!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, we have a Anubis nana in there right now, I think we will get just the 3 more candy canes and leave it and let them get at least a decent shoal together with 6 of them, I am to scared to go to 10. Not sure Gage will want to do another sucker fish he has a hard time when he loses a certain kind of fish to get another one and yesterday he came up and said he really misses Mr Sucky :(.

I have another 5 gallon right now that is in fish less cycle and maybe once it is ready I can get him something else, I really like the Celestial pearls but I really don't want a bunch of breeding to go on and they are said to very easily breed. Thanks everyone

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the loss. If I were you I'd go ahead and up the CC tetras to at least 8. Why not add a snail? They are very interesting creatures, very easy to keep, and they help maintain a clean tank.

A five gallon is not really big enough for any fish, maybe a single betta, but that's still really not big enough.

But, 5 gallon tanks with some plants make EXCELLENT shrimp tanks. That's what I'd do, make it a planted RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp) tank. They are very easy to keep for the beginner, and they breed easily. Fun to watch, too!

0 Not allowed!
    I have to disagree a bit on stocking for the 5 gal. CPD's are small and will do OK in this tank but I would limit the number to 5. At this lower number though, I think you might find them to be quite shy and hiding a lot. Mine were, but you might have a different experience. Also look at a few habrosus cories (these are a dwarf variety) for the bottom.

You could also look at chili rasboras or one of the other boraras varieties instead of the CPD's as options. These are even a bit smaller and your number could be a bit higher.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    in a 5 gallon you could get a few guppy, a betta, snails and some shrimp not all together though.
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!