· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Will the lone tetra be ok or is he worse off now that he is by himself that I need to buy some more to go with him now that the numbers are good for the water?

I am thinking maybe before I was able to test for ammonia the numbers were to high for to long and it ended up killing the fish even after I was able to get the numbers down to where they need to be. Not sure if it is a culmative effect or what, but kind of confused on that since the bristelnose has been in there longer than all the fish that died on us. Have also been checking the oldests sons tank and performing water changes on his to keep the ammonia and nitirites levels down also. So far so good for his lets just hope it stays that way. Again thanks to everyone for the help will keep you guys updated.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    wait a couple of days or a week AFTER all the water parameters are good.
    i mean ammonia 0 (not even 0.25) nitrite 0 (not even 0.25) and nitrate under 20 (10 is better),
    then i would go ahead and add 4-5 more.
    before you buy them look at the fish for a good ten minutes and look for strange behaviour.
    oh and how are you acclimating your fish? what type of tetra do you have?
    good luck
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tylersdad86 View Post
    I am thinking maybe before I was able to test for ammonia the numbers were to high for to long and it ended up killing the fish even after I was able to get the numbers down to where they need to be. Not sure if it is a culmative effect or what, but kind of confused on that since the bristelnose has been in there longer than all the fish that died on us.
    This is spot on. Ammonia and nitrite exposure can be really rough on the fish. Unfortunately for those tetras it may have just been too late by the time you got the test kit they were too weak from exposure to the cycle for you to save.

Just want to reiterate a couple of points. Make sure to test your water before the water changes. Those are your true values for ammonia and nitrite levels in the tank.

Do water changes accordingly to keep ammonia and trites below .25.

"Good" water parameters will take weeks when cycling with fish. Any measurable trace of ammonia or nitrites prior to your water change is considered a bad reading regardless of how small.

When you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and you start seeing nitrates, that's a good, cycled tank and we can address how many fish to add at that time.

Your lone tetra will be fine by himself. It's more dangerous to keep adding fish that then add to the ammonia level and make the tank more toxic for the already weak tetra. He will have a proper school soon enough.

I know how frustrated you are, but you have come a long way and you are on the road to success. I hate to see you get this far into it and throw in the towel. You are already rapidly catching onto the basics and your willingness to take advice and do what is needed for the health of your fish tells me that you are going to be great at this hobby.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys, he seems really happy even by himself we are actually seeing him now instead of him with the others always hiding or staying right by the heater (water temp is at 76 and has been for 2 weeks now have 2 thermometers to make sure). We are now to being able to do water changes every other day instead of every day and it is down to 0 now for ammonia and nitirites, the kit has been awesome! Looking back it was prob prolonged exposure to ammonia before the kit and hopefully this one Tetra left with the bristelnose will continue to do well and live. I am going with a regular fish store next time we get fish instead of just a box store as the fish store is local and they quarantine their fish for 2 weeks before they even sale them and he said they end up losing quite a few fish before even selling them but that way everyone is getting healthier fish. So hopefully that along with getting the water where it needs to be will make the next round of fish and hopefully the 2 we have left very happy and to last. Thinking of going with 4-5 of the Celestial Pearl danios next time, beautiful and very hardy fish the owner said. But I will make sure the water is established before doing any of that and my little one is very happy that the Tetra and even the bristelnose are playing around and are seen a lot more than before. Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Good deal...keep in mind, the beneficial bacteria colony you are growing will only sustain the few fish you have in there now, so add more fish a few at a time and slowly, so that the BB colony can grow to keep up with the added bioload (ammonia from additional fish)
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Good deal...keep in mind, the beneficial bacteria colony you are growing will only sustain the few fish you have in there now, so add more fish a few at a time and slowly, so that the BB colony can grow to keep up with the added bioload (ammonia from additional fish)
    +1 i forgot to about that
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Guys knock on wood the 1 tetra left is doing really well and just swimming all over the tank. Lots of work but we have 0 ammonia levels, 0 nitrites levels without more than 10% change done 2 days ago. So far feeling good about it and hope its finally done and we have a fully cycled tank that is now established. My next question is I would like to get some celestial pearl danios but don't want to leave the tetra alone either. So my thought is to go and get another candy cane tetra today or tomorrow, let the filter and good bacteria work and stabilize, than next week or the week after get another one and so on until there are 4 or 5 in there and than start adding the celestial pearls later on down the road? Or will the tetra be fine on his own and add the pearls instead but the same way I was going to add the tetras one a week for so long to make sure I don't go through all this again by adding to many? Thanks for all the help, so far looks like this might work out lol.

0 Not allowed!
    if it were me, I'd get the tetra some mates before doing anything else. What kind of tetra is he? Tetras have a low bioload compared to many other fishes, I would add 3-4 more of the same kind that the survivor is. Ideally a tetra shoal should number 10 or more, but you have to take things slowly at first, given your situation.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He is a candy cane tetra, when he first started by himself after the others ones passed he was pretty skittish but now he swims everywhere and even hides in a cave we have in there just swimming around.

0 Not allowed!
    He'd be happy with more of his own. If you are certain the tank is cycled, you could even get him 5, with no problems IMO.

Let the tank mature for a week or two with the new CC's, then think about adding additional fish

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast