· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    1. Considering the short time span to death, I would not suspect a disease, but ammonia poisoning.
    2. Dwarf gourami virus is certainly a possibility, although it usually takes its time and an incubation period.
    3. Some fish are hardier than others. Goldfish are genetically modified zebra danios(at least the original ones, I don't know what other modified fish there are now). Danios are quite well known for being near bulletproof, along with some other fish such as goldfish. That is likely why they survive what might be questionable treatment, and why goldfish live in bowls for so long despite being the most unsuitable place possible to keep one.
    Do that with most other fish, however, and it will likely perish.

0 Not allowed!
    I know you said that you followed the instructions to cycle the tank and they all the values came back right, but can you give us exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

That would be a good baseline for us I start with.

You may be able to save your remaining tetras with some simple routines but we need to assess exactly what those numbers are before we can move forward.

I personally think it is unlikely that you have any type of disease that is lingering or remaining in your tank and causing the problems.

On a side note, your son with the ten gallon that was set up and is doing well, could start running into problems soon. As you learn about the care of this ten gallon, apply those lessons to his as well. You don't always see these problems right away and with an uncycled tank he may very well find that his fish start getting sick and dying in the near future.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrate was at 0.0
    Nitrite was 0.0
    Total hardness 75 soft
    Total chlorine 0.0
    Total alkalinity 140
    PH was 7.2
    That's the numbers I got off the 6 in 1 we have I will when I get a chance do the API kit you guys talked about but again snowed in so not much I can do right now. Also anyone used the ATM stuff before I think from the guys off the TV show Tanked?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Has someone already suggested ammonia poisoning? Putting fish in to the tank can mess with the ammonia. When you introduce new fish to the tank, wait a few days before putting more fish in. And only put in a few at a time. Highly suggest the API master test kit! Well worth the money! Don't go to the store and ask what fish they suggest, or see which ones you like while you're there. Go to websites like Petsmart.com, Petco.com, or Petsolutions.com. See which fish you like. After you find some you like, do research on them and make sure they'll do well in your aquarium, and with any other fish you have in there. Looks like most everything else has been covered. Good luck and don't give up! Like someone else suggested, take a step back, give it a week or 2, and make sure everything is in order before you get anymore fish.
    37g Freshwater 1 Angelfish, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Cardinals, 1 Bristlenose Pleco.
    Live Plants Java Fern, Anubias, Amazon Sword, Moneywort, and Bronze Wendtii. And soon to be Balansae crypts, and probably more crypts... Blame Compass!

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Yea one big thing missing is ammonia testing - that is by far one of the deadlier parts of the cycle towards fish (aka the ammonia poisoning). That test strip tests for everything (sorta) except the worst one. Big reason why people here use the API test kit, it is economical for the amount of tests you get and you can do only the ones needed one at a time. if you run out of one you can just of course by more bottles of what you need.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Default Help losing fish

2 Not allowed!
    My thoughts too. I bet your cycle isn't even half started and you are losing the fish to high ammonia levels. For now daily water changes of at least 50% are in order until you get the right testing supplies.

I have never tried the products that ATM sells although I did have a lengthy discussion with Wade and the General when I visited their store last summer in Vegas. I was surprisingly impressed by their knowledge but afraid that they don't represent themselves accurately on tv in the name of entertainment.

I will say this. As a general rule you want to avoid shortcuts in fish keeping. Things take time for a reason. You are establishing a biological environment and that is a time consuming process. Products (i fear including atm's) that claim to provide all the bacteria you need or to instantly cycle your tank, will not build the type of mature bacterial colony that ensures long term success for your fish.

As a general rule. The only chemical you should be dumping in your tank should be dechlorinator. If the day comes that you need a treatment for a specific illness then you can use it, but all the ph up, ph down, aquarium salt, instant cycle, slime coat protector stuff that the pet store pushes on you from the start is just not necessary and can cause you more headache.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Did not know that, and I hate that about not testing for the ammonia. I have some the of ATM stuff called colony it neutralizes ammonia supposedly and we used it when they were first put in and if I remember correctly yesterday.

Now I feel dumber about the testing stuff and not having one for something so important with ammonia. Guess once it warms and the roads unfreeze I will get out and get that testing kit and go from there. Hopefully I can save the 3 left they look pretty good in the bowl thing although they looked good in the aquarium itself did not have the problems yet the other 3 did.
    Last edited by Tylersdad86; 02-13-2014 at 03:54 PM.

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Liek I said, don't be too hard on yourself! The excitement of a new tank and new fish can be overwhelming and the *weeks* it takes to get a tank ready just feels too long!

If you don't have any nitrates, then I think for sure your tank isn't cycled. It'll be fine, just start massive water changes. Any time you're bored (snowed in , you say?). change out some more water!
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 8x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 4x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

10g planted: Bael the betta, 2x Indian glassfish & Pops the purple Apple snail

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I was a fish noob to and my 37 gallon in my sig was a fish in cycle process as well. I am now 5 months in that tank and it is fully cycled and I haven't lost a single fish. I may actually have to many now as they breed like rabbits. But I was doing 2 or 3 water changes a week at 30-40% each but I kept at, testing often and changing water often. Now that I am doing my second tank I am doing it fishless with ammonia, and I am not quite 3 weeks into the process but it is going way faster. Hopefully by next weekend I can move many of the fry (baby mollies) from the big tank to the small one. I think I got upwards to 20-25 molly fry now of various sizes including my last batch with came out an off-white color for some reason, they are not black like the rest of them - I think I counted 5 of those last night.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I bought ATM stuff after the first 2 fish died on us with the Betta and than the Bala. Figured what the heck it was on sale and I have heard of them before (of course after reading the Internet maybe that's not a good thing)

I had 2 live plants in this tank and a piece of driftwood with 2 cloth plants and a rock cave. The bottom is just usual rock colored yellow and green. Tank was still pretty clear and not much algae if any algae growth. Just not sure where to go from here, want to get the rest of the tetras back in but I guess I cannot do that since I will have to take the 4-5 weeks again to cycle the system correctly? What else can I do for the tetras? Thanks